Going swimming

Valladolid Travel Blog

Cenote

Back in town and it was hot! Super hot. Undeterred, we rented some bikes and set about peddling the 8 kms to two of the most famous cenotes in the region. Cenotes are underground pools, more or less. The two we went to had holes perched at the top of huge caverns that emitted enough sunlight to turn the water a radiant blue. We entered the first one and took in the musty, cave-like smell while eying the huge stalactites and tree roots from above snaking into the water. A really beautiful place.

We hopped in for a swim (very cold!) before moving on to the next cenote across the road for more of the same. When that was done, back on the bikes and a pedal back to the hostel and we were ready for some food. Dinner and then a stroll in the central plaza and our first day in Mexico was a wrap.

cenote

The next day we caught the bus to the Maya site of Coba, home to the tallest structure on the Yucatan. This was an interesting site in that you could rent bikes inside and pedal your way to sites located a few kms into the jungle. Here we could climb the tallest structure and we both did in the searing heat, taking in beautiful views of forest spread out as far as we could see.

Back in to town and I put my Spanish to work. Apparently there was only one bus going back to Valladolid but the guy at the bus stop kept telling me he wasn'tcompletely sure it would come. Huh? He probably got tired of repeating it over and over again, but seeing as how I haven'tused Spanish in three years, I wasn't sure I was hearing him correctly.

cenote
Anyway, I finally got enough of the message to worry myself a bit, but it was all for naught as the bus finally arrived a couple of hours later and we were back in Valladolid for dinner. Another fun day.

The next day we were beach bound to Playa del Carmen. We showed up in PDC after a two hour bus ride and I realized I'd forgotten to write down the names and locations of potential places to stay. Woops. No matter, I thought, as I remembered one of the hostels I'd looked into was on the beach! So we looked for the beach and found it a few blocks from the bus stop. It was an absolutely stunning beach with water colored in a myriad of blue hues. It suddenly dawned on me that the prospect of lugging my backpack up and down the beach in 32 degree heat wasn't particularly agreeable, so we headed back up the street we came down. Then Ji noticed a hostel! That was it! A keen eye and success again. We checked in and headed back down to the beach. We spent the night in PDC with plans to catch the ferry to Cozumel in the morning. It was SCUBA time.

in the main plaza of Valladolid
in the main plaza of Valladolid
Valladolid Hostels review
Nice
Nice place. Stayed in a double room on the second floor which was pretty good. No AC and hot, though, so while it was bearable in May, I'm not so sure… read entire review
Valladolid