Summer Breeze

Cape Town Travel Blog

amarula
While everyone in my country is busy preparing for christmas parties (and, of course, year-end audit), I’m busy packing up my things for my flight back to Manila. A two-week business trip is not enough especially in a place like Cape Town--a jewel located at the southernmost tip of South Africa.

To say that I fell in love with the place would be an understatement. I really wished I could stay here longer or I could go back...soon.

The whole experience started off with me having to stay in a cozy hotel (http://www.urbanhiphotels.com/) just few steps away from my client’s office (and it’s just at the back of the E&Y Cape Town office!). I never expected a hotel, with such simple façade, would have a very elegant, modern and functional interior.
groot constantia
It’s better than the one that I had stayed at in the US. I would want my future house to have that look--wood and steel combined. It has a complete line of Bosch appliances, a mini-bar, an electronic table-top stove, and did I mention the 40-inch flat screen TV? The bell-boy just chuckled when he saw my jaw dropped in awe when we entered my room.

Just below the hotel is a French resto called Bizerca Bistro (http://www.bizerca.com/). It really is a food haven. My favorite dishes? Ratatouille and Pan-fried Kingklip! And the interior--imagine how it exudes vibrancy with just two contrasting colors--black and white! It was just amazing. Oh and I had tasted their amarula--a native African liquor--better than Bailey’s, I must say.

And we’re not yet outside the hotel premises...There’s more to see.
green market

We had our first (free) lunch, c/o the KPMG partners, at the Cape Town Fish Market (http://www.ctfm.co.za/2009/home/) along Camps Bay (akin to California’s Laguna Beach). It was summertime then, so there were a lot of people.

Summer in CapeTown is colder than in the Philippines. Maybe because of its location--cool winds coming from the Atlantic Ocean on one side lingers around the city because they are blocked off by the Table Mountain on the other side.

We were also able to go to the Waterfront (African Port Area) for lunches and dinners. A very nice view of the Table Mountain (http://tablemountain.net/) can be seen from the Waterfront, especially during clear nights.
alfresco dining near green market

My client had this year-end function (sort of a Christmas party) at the Groot Constantia vineyards (http://www.grootconstantia.co.za/). The place reminds me of the movie "A Walk in the Clouds"...

Thanks to Pieter Visser of Accenture, we were able to go to his flat at the Blouberg area and eat a mouthful of grilled seafood at Jimmy’s Killer Prawns (http://www.jimmyskillerprawns.com/). The view of Table Mountain from Blouberg is nothing but awesome, especially during sunset. Ah lovely!

Thanks to the KPMG Cape Town dudettes Zeenat and Lynn, we were able to get a taste of authentic Indian cuisines at Bukhara (http://www.bukhara.com/). The food is deliciously hot. The place is so good that a lot of Cape Town folks and tourists often go there for lunch.

Near Bukhara is the Green Market, where you can find all sorts of African souvenirs.
table mountain view from waterfront
Yup, they do offer discounts when you buy in bulk!

I have been mentioning Table Mountain a couple of times here--it’s because Cape Town would not be Cape Town without the Table Mountain. I went there on a weekend, together with my Accenture friends, Shim (from Malaysia) and Anthony.

The 20-min cab ride from my hotel to the foot of the mountain was an awesome experience. Imagine having a road trip in a convertible with a reggae-version of Seals and Croft’s 1972 hit “Summer Breeze” playing on the background. Oh what a joyride!

We were lucky we looked like we’re under 18, and we we’re able to, you know, get “BIG” discounts (ok promise, that was the first AND the last time we’ll do that).

The Table Mountain is famous for its (what else?) table-like figure.
sunset at 8PM
Its natural flat top has a wide range of flora and fauna. You can see the whole of Cape Town from the top. I was enjoying the view as much as my two friends are getting bored. (Oh well, people have different tastes!) I really wanted to see the sunset above the mountains so I decided to stay until around 8PM. Unfortunately, that was not a good idea for my two friends. I used up all my charms (and even reverse-psychology skills) to make them stay until after sunset, but to no avail. They left me alone. Ha, look at what they’ve missed.

The mountain top is oftentimes covered by low-lying clouds. And what will you get when these clouds cover the whole top of the Table Mountain? A Tablecloth!

We also visited Bo-Kaap (which means "Above Cape" in Africa)--famous for its rows of colorful houses.
colorful decor made of used plastic bottles
Oh, Africans are a natural artist!

I told you it would be an understatement to say that I fell in love with the place. And these are just a few of the must-sees in Cape Town. Look at my missed list:

1. Cape Point (to take on the Cape Point Route and to visit the legendary Cape of Good Hope) www.capepointroute.co.za
2. Canal Walk (“This is their SM Mall of Asia,” as how my teammate described it) www.canalwalk.co.za
3. Boulders Beach (where Happy Feet and Surf’s Up dudes come together to enjoy the summer break) www.bouldersbeach.co.za
4. Safari (they have Aquila and Kruger safaris--one to two-hour drive from Cape Town www.aquilasafari.com and www.krugerpark.co.za
5. Wine Tasting (will try Stellenbosch next time) www.stellenbosch.org.za
travelman727 says:
Great tips and advice! Your blog makes me want to visit Cape Town even more than before :-D
Posted on: Jun 09, 2010
sunset at 8PM
colorful decor made of used plasti…
colorful decor made of used plast…
cloud nine
cloud nine
sea of clouds
sea of clouds
above the clouds
above the clouds
curios shop at the top of table mo…
curios shop at the top of table m…