Its Paris!

Paris Travel Blog

Eiffel Tower

This morning we left London and boarded the Busabout bus the first time to take us to Paris. We bought a bus pass to take us through the whole Busabout circuit. I always wanted to go to Paris... I always heard mixed reviews about Paris... but let me tell you, I LOVED Paris! The first thing we did in Paris was of course... go to the Eiffel Tower! How can you not? The Eiffel Tower was pretty hard to miss.. it was massive. We went to the nearby cafe and bought a half bottle of wine and some bagettes. After Zara showed all the locals how we valued french wine by dropping it, we went on the grassy area right in front of the Eiffel Tower and had our picnic. It was so neat to see everyone spread around the park all chilled out and relaxed.

Our picnic
After it got a little bit darker we ascended up the Tower. It was nice going up at night and seeing the views of the city. We could see the location of where we had our picnic from the Tower. All I could think going up was that Tom Cruise proposed to Katie Holmes on this! Its so "been there, done that". Couldn't the guy come up with something more unique?

The next day we went to the Louve... I wished that I had finished reading the Da Vinci code beforehand.  The Louve was so massive... to be honest I am surprised that Zara and I lasted the whole day there. What was the first thing we saw? The Mona Lisa! It was crowded around the masterpiece with people taking so many photos of her. I swear, I saw her smiling at me... or was that a smirk? After we said bye to Mona, we went and saw all the other paintings which were beautiful in itself.

I wish I had the gift of analyzing paintings more thoroughly. By the time we left the Louve we were exhausted and just sat outside and tried to re-energize. We went back to the hostel and met a roommate named Jennifer. I think she was from Virginia. We went to dinner together and just stolled afterwards near the hostel. We decided to go walk around the Montremere district where we were at. It was nice at night and we decided to go further up the hill to the Sacre Coure which was this beautiful, white church. We saw a lot of police cars around and so we realized soon enough that their was supposed to be a fireworks show on the Sacre Coure steps... we love unexpected things like this so we sat on the steps of the Church. Everyone else around us were travellers and locals.
The Louve
.. a nice mix. I got out our leftover wine from the Eiffel Tower and some plastic cups and watched the night go by.

The next day in Paris we went to the graveyard to visit Jim Morrison. Ok, to be more exact it was more of a search. It was so hot and the graveyard was bigger then we thought it would be. But it was so beautiful to walk around. The graves were all unique to each other with some being like small houses or chapels with stained glass windows and such. We saw Oscar Wilde's grave which was covered with lipstick kisses all over... it was sad to see that some of the tombs were defaced with people writing messages to Jim or were directing tourists to Jim. We finally found him though and he had a simple tombstone. We then went to visit Notre Dame Cathedral and climbed to the top.

Mona Lisa Smile
I've never been inside a gothic church before... the stained glass windows were massive and it was nice with the light coming in. The rest of the day we walked around the latin quarter and walked to the Pantheon and relaxed by a nice park.

The following day we went to the Arc de Triumphe and walked the Champs d'Elysse. There is so many charming areas in Paris... I was feeling like I could stay forever here. We also walked around near our hostel and back up to the Sacre Coure to see it in the daytime and went inside.

The last day in Paris we headed to the Versailles Palace... the largest palace in Europe I believe. Instead of going inside, Zara and I roamed around the massive gardens. I can't believe royalty needs such large grounds... must make the days go by quicker walking end to end since their was no television back then! That night we did a night bike tour around Paris... we met the group at the Eiffel Tower and had a great guide. It was crazy that we were all biking on the main roads! Their were cars next to us in traffic and no sidewalks. We all had wine on the boat and then raced back on our bikes to reach the Eiffel Tower again to watch it sparkle on the hour. It was a nice way to end our trip in Paris... started with the Eiffel Tower... and ended with the Eiffel Tower.

Fireworks from Sacre Coeur