Arriving in Amsterdam and meeting Vincent

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Happy Hour!

This afternoon we arrived in Amsterdam and at our hostel... after dumping our bags in our room we went to the hostel bar for "happy hour". The bar was pretty large and looked more like a beer hall. It was only the afternoon but it was still pretty crowded and crazy in there with a guy even puking after a drinking contest with his buddies... We stayed past happy hour and it was more like me watching my friend Zara get wasted then myself. This is what happens when you have a low-tolerance to beer. Ugh. We were later joined by our bus leader who drank with us and then even the bus driver came and drank with us too. After like 4hrs at the bar we realized I needed to even out Zara's alcohol intake with food and we finally left the hostel to head to town.

Me and Zara
.. it was getting dark by then and we just tried to pretend we knew where we were going in town.

We found a nice restaurant and headed inside... since Zara was a little out of it by then she gave me the honour of ordering for her and we decided to share a pizza. While waiting for the food, we were priviledged to have a couple Celine Dion songs playing back-to-back in the restaurant. After using the internet for a bit we heading back to the dorm to sleep... actually at this point we still had no idea who our roommates were as I guess nobody sleeps early in Amsterdam (except for us!). We woke up in the morning to find our roommates... it was us 2 Canadian gals and 8 past out European and Aussie guys!... I know the answer to the age-old question now when it came to European men.

Yes, their were urinals in the middle of downtown... outside in public!
.. "boxers or briefs?". So this is what they mean by co-ed dormatories.

The next day we started by going into the Riksmuseum which was close to the hostel. We then walked to the Anne Frank House. It was strange being in her house because I could start visualizing things I remembered from reading her diary. We went up into her attic and were able to see all the rooms and dining areas. Anne's room was just as she had left it with her posters and art on the wall... its crazy to think that families were in an attic hiding out while business as usual was going on downstairs in the daytime with no one else knowing for a long time. From reading about her life you kind of feel like you know her personally a little bit... but you don't.

After leaving we headed out to the food stands to order some food.

The bookcase that hid the entrance to Anne Frank's attic space
.. while I was trying to familarize myself more with the European specialty of mayo and french fries, Zara was introduced to eating raw fish sandwiches (raw herring) ... you know what they say, "Once you start eating raw you never go back". Actually I don't know who says that, but I do know that Zara LOVED eating slimy, raw, fish! Ugh. I was getting a little grossed out watching her eat it.

Later that night we visited a coffee shop to uhh... have some cappaccino... sure. No, but really I didn't try any of it. It was pretty cheap the bags they were selling and Zara purchased one. It was a nice way to end the day.

The following day we went to the Van Gogh Museum that I thought was pretty neat. It was interesting reading about his life and how crazy he ended up being in the end.

Mmmm... yum! Raw fish
... who cuts off their own ear? Any takers? There was also a special exhibition on Egon Schiele at the Museum. This artist painted a lot of nude women in interesting positions and instead of having male models to paint with the women, sometimes he would just put himself in the paintings! He would visualize himself and put himself in the scenes. It was interesting most definately.. the man had talent. If you don't know yet, the best part of going to any attraction.. museum or whatever is going to the gift shop after! That's usually where you will find us spending most of our time.  We each decided to buy a poster after much contemplation... trust me, the thought crossed our mind... "how the hell are we gonna hold the posters for 3 months?" Luckily the gift shop was able to give us a long enclosed poster holder to keep all of our posters that said the Van Gogh Museum.
Riksmuseum
.. and for the rest of the trip we referred to it as our third travel friend, "Vincent".

We took Vincent and then headed to a nice park called Vondelpark to chill out and relax... ok, and to save $$$ too! It was a nice, sunny hot day and a lot of the locals were out just suntaning at the park, playing football, drinking, etc. We found a nice patch of grass and played cards for a bit. We ended up giving over the leftover weed to a man we met at the park.

That night we decided to check out the Red Light District. It was strange seeing tour groups of elderly couples visiting the streets and checking out the sex shops. I actually didn't really have any idea going in what the area would be like... but their were women inside the windows and in the doorways trying to get ppl to come in... the red lights were blinking on and off... and obviously the pimps were outside trying to be good salesmen. It was definately intriguing to see and to realize that to the girls, this was their 8 hr job... they just do it at nighttime unlike the rest of us.

All in all.. Amsterdam was a great stopover.

Me and Zara
Yes, their were urinals in the mid…
Yes, their were urinals in the mi…
The bookcase that hid the entrance…
The bookcase that hid the entranc…
Van Gogh Museum