Orientation

Dresden Travel Blog

view from my window
Today was orientation day.  It was such a long day that it almost felt like 2 days in one.  We met this morning and signed our leases and everything then went to the classroom and went over the syllabus and everything.  It made me realize just how busy this summer is about to get.  Luckily for me though I have it spread out over a couple months.  Its kinda nice having that much time to do everything.  We had a break for lunch and a couple of us went and got döner.  It was GOOD!  I am still trying to adjust to the layout of the city since last time I was in the area we werent really in Dresden that much.  It can get very confusing if you dont pay attention to things.
view from my window

After lunch we went back to the classroom, filled out boring paperwork and then worked on lesson plans.  It was definitely a challenge for those that have to start teaching so soon.  Lucky for the 11 week program that we get to observe them first so we can kinda see how everything works before we start teaching.  It is a bit intimidating at first to think about what we are about to start doing in a couple weeks.  I am looking forward to being able to observe people and see how their classrooms are run.  I am excited for the upcoming weeks and months to learn more about my field and work with some of the teachers and professors I have been assigned too.  I know this experience is really going to help me in the long run and I plan to take anything I can from it and make the best of every situation.
view from my window
This afternoon we took a walking tour of Dresden.  It was very crazy because there was a parade going on.  There were so many people by the river that it was hard to even cross the bridge.  It was fun though getting to meet and talk to different people in the group finally.  I am glad we had the tour today and not tomorrow, because we have a lot to do tomorrow apparently.  I am excited for the program to finally start even though I do not want to be in the classroom all day.  I am also looking forward to expierencing more of Dresden in the coming months.  Two of the girls in the group have also already been here and we were comparing stories and decided the Neustadt Fest is going to be the most exciting part of experiencing Dresden again.  Hopefully this year I will be in a better mood to enjoy it.

The walking tour was interesting today.  I had already been on the tour last time, but since I have gone much farther in my german I am more aware of the history of Dresden.  Even the architecture I was able to recognize and was able to place the time periods Dr. G was discussing with what I had learned in my classes.  I think I enjoyed it a lot more, because I remembered a lot of the background.  I definitely want to spend a day walking around Altstadt, there is so much to do and see that I missed last time!!
Barock Garden
This trip was probably my worst thus far.  There were too many stops and too many security checkpoints.  I usually do not like flying through Philadelphia to Munich because of all the delays in Philly, but at least they don't strip search you on that route.  Security was brutal this time and I had to run through Newark to try to catch my plane on time.  The thing I did like this time was the plane service.  Lufthansa is a fantastic carrier and I will definitely fly overseas with them again.  The service on the plane is phenomenal, each seat has an individual screen that you can choose what you want to watch or listen to.  The seats I think were the most comfortable I have flown in.  There was a little more legroom than usual, however for someone with long legs it was still a bit uncomfortable.
  They also provided free headsets which was definitely a plus!! I hate that airlines now charge a dollar for their crappy headsets and then you are stuck watching whatever they decide to show you.

I would definitely NEVER switch carriers during my trip.  It is because of this that I lost my luggage.  In Dresden's airport the lady I spoke with about it did not tell me definitely but everyone is pretty sure it was still in the US, because the other person who's luggage got lost had it yesterday afternoon.  That means it would not have left until yesterday's overnight Lufthansa flight because it didn't get here until this morning.

Everything is pretty cheap here which is nice and because the Euro is weaker than in previous years, I am not losing as much money exchanging.
Barock architecture
  I wish I had made a list of things I needed at the grocery store though, because now that I am more rested I am remembering things I need and cant get because all stores are closed Sunday.  I will have to wait until tomorrow and go with everyone else.  I have been living on Musli so far.  It is like an oatmeal type cereal with chocolate in it.  I mean it is good, but I need some real food.  I really want to find a fresh market too, because that is where you will find the best fruits and vegetables.  Everything is from the local farmers and it is very cheap and fresh.

The weather has been pretty cold here.  I am not used to it getting light so early though.  I think the sun was fully up around 5 this morning.
Feldschloßchen float from the Dixieland parade
  My desk is right beside our huge picture window and it looks like it is finally starting to clear up.  The sun is starting to come up so hopefully it will start to warm up too.  The assistant Joern who picked me up yesterday said that when it gets nicer I have a good view of the sunset from my window.  I am pretty excited about that!!  I can not get over the view I have.  I just want to sit and stare out the window.  It is beyond Amazing.  I tried to take pictures, but the camera does not do it justice.

I am hoping at some point while I am here I can attend mass at the Frauenkirche.  I saw online that it is every Sunday at 11.  Regardless of what you believe in, just to experience something like that would be really interesting.  It is obviously done in German and the church is huge so I am sure it is something spectacular.

That is all for now, I am going to go start to unpack and rest.  My roommate will be here within the hour!!!  I can't wait to see her, we are going to have such an awesome time!
Barock architecture
Feldschloßchen float from the Dix…
Feldschloßchen float from the Di…
Facade made from Meissen porcelain…
Facade made from Meissen porcelai…
Dresden