Tabgha Travel Blog› entry 8 of 16 › view all entries
After a very late lunch it was time for the last 2 visits of this day before moving to the Ha'on kibbutz. First we went to the Church of the Primacy of St. Peter. This is a Franciscan church located in Tabgha, Israel, on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee. It commemorates Jesus' reinstatement of Peter as chief among the Apostles. Peter came from the Galilee region, he was born in Bethsaida were his father was a fisherman. Later he had a house in Caphernaum. He became the first pope of the catholic church.
The modern structure of the Church of St. Peter was built in 1933 and incorporates parts of an earlier 4th century church. At the base of its walls, opposite the main altar, foundations of the 4th century church are visible. In the 9th century, the church was referred to as the Place of the Coals. This name refers to the incident of Jesus' preparation of meal for the apostles, building a fire on which to cook the fish. Also first mentioned in the year 808 are the "Twelve Thrones", a series of heart shaped stones, which were placed along the shore to commemorate the Twelve Apostles. The church survived longer than any other in the area, but was finally being destroyed in 1263. This present Franciscan chapel was built on this site.