Time to Speak on behalf of the family

Westville Travel Blog

Today was going to be a tough day.  Today, I was going to have to go to the funeral home and see my Great Uncle as he rested.  Today, I was going to have to see my cousins, full of life and spirit, saddened by their loss but grateful for his life.  Today, I was going to have to stand up in front and speak on behalf of my family.   There was nothing that I could say that would come close to the impact this man had made on many.  He had moved to Chicago from Puerto Rico to find work.  He retired with pension working in the steel mill.  He raised seven kids.  He helped to establish a church.  He helped pay for his children's and grandchildren's college education.  He adopted other families and helped raise them.  He inpsired.

I had been sleeping in my cousin's house in a room with a lighthouse motif.  I stared at these lighthouses and was drawn into their symbolism.  A lighthouse is a structure of importance.  It silently protects the shores and large masses.  It provides guidance to captains who rely on their stability.  It is stoic and steadfast.  It asks for nothing and gives you all that it has.  My great uncle was a lighthouse of humanity.  His love was his light and he shined it on us all.  His light will live on.

Resources Reviews