Florence in a Day

Florence Travel Blog

My sister came from Miami to Rome for a 10 day visit. It was extreme. She had tours of the Colosseum and Vatican. We checked off all major things for Rome: Fontana di Trevi, Vittorio Emanuele, Quattro Fontane, Pantheon, and Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore just to name a few. Not to mention she ate all the necessary foods: Mozzarella, pasta and pizza along with the great “aperitivo” concept that Italians have conquered.
However, the most extreme day was our afternoon in Florence.

We took the train from Roma Termini around 11 to Florence and were there an hour and a half later. The train is non stop and costs 44 euros each way. (There are slower ones that are cheaper, but when you have no time to waste I suggest paying more!)

Sites that we saw that we wanted to recommend to you are:

Piazza del Duomo
The Duomo is super!! Times like this I wish I majored in art history so that I could give you better detail. I’m just a regular girl, who loves to travel and all I can tell you is that the Duomo is SUPER. Make sure to see it.

We were told that the The Campinile, bell tower, is something to see but it was closed due to Easter being just around the corner.

Piazza della Signoria
This amazing piazza is in the center of Florence and is very busy. What is extraordinary about it is that there is an open air (free) sculpture exhibition. It is breath taking and surreal to turn a corner and find marble statues that you can just “hang out around” for a while.

LUNCH BREAK

Ponte Vecchio
This bridge was the first and last bridge standing in Florence. Charming as can be, the bridge is lined with tons of jewelry shops. I always tell this story, but my best friends dad proposed to her mom on that bridge long long ago! (How cute!)

Galleria degli Uffizi
This museum is said to hold the best collection of Renaissance art in the world however, the line was chaotically long. Since this was just an afternoon visit… we did not have time to waist in line.

Galleria dell' Academia
Michelangelo's David is one thing we were not going to leave Florence without seeing. It can be found in Galleria dell’ Academia. I never imagined the David would be so big. WOW. The detail on his body…you can outline his veins…and his tooshy…oo la la it is just perfect.

More that just sight seeing, Florence has some of the best shopping around. From small boutiques to all the name brands we know and prices to satisfy most shoppers!

By 7 we were on our way back to Rome. We were a little tired, but happy with our afternoon in Firenze!
Florence