Day Trip From Rome

Porto Santo Stefano Travel Blog

This weekend 3 girlfriends and I had an impromptu road trip to Porto Santo Stefano in Southern Tuscany. About two hours away and lined with beautiful boats, this cute port town is a sight to see.

Lunch was at Trattoria “da Orlando” (Via Breschi, 3 Tel: 0564.812788). With plenty of seafood and very al dente pasta, I absolutely recommend this restaurant. We were told by a local that Orlando was actually the “fix it man” of S. Stefano 70 years ago. Fisherman would go out into the sea and when they returned they would come to Orlando to have him fix their tools. Orlando, being the friendly man he was, would make food and bring it to the fisherman. This tradition persisted and now stands his restaurant overlooking the water.
His hospitality feeling has remained as well. After leaving the restaurant, one of my girlfriends realized she had forgotten her phone. On her way back, she ran into the waiter who was driving around the city looking for us to return the phone!
After lunch we took a relaxing stroll, chatted with a few more locals and had some tea.

Porto Santo Stefano was yet another memorable town outside of busy Rome.
Porto Santo Stefano