Food, Culture and Mystery

Perugia Travel Blog

The name of this blog, if you haven’t already noticed, is Where Business Meets Pleasure. Looking at my past posts, it has pretty much all been business so I think it is time for a little pleasure.

Two weeks ago my friend Carley and I needed a break from the Eternal City and went on a little adventure to Perugia. Don’t get me wrong, I love living in Rome, but honestly, Rome sometimes gets on my nerve. She is how I imagine a pestering old wife would behave after being married to the same man for 30 years. Loud, chaotic, frustrating... and likes to go to sleep around 11.

Sometimes you just need to get out and see your mistress. These cities that are just outside of Rome do the trick. They are always perfect because you only visit them for a day or two and you don’t have time to get to truly know them and their flaws. Therefore, their food is always better, their smell is always memorable, and their look is always sensational. But at the end of the day, you always get on a train back to Rome.

Perugia is just a 2 hour train ride from Rome and had all the appeal that Carley and I were looking for. Best known for hosting the Umbria Jazz Festival and the chocolate festival called EuroChocolate this city screams sweet, elegant and charming.

We stayed at Hotel Sangallo Palace; a great 4 start hotel for 89 € a night. The reason we chose this place was for the location and the indoor swimming pool! After arriving to the hotel and being treated like stars we dipped into the pool for a swim. Well maybe that’s overstatement. As a Florida Girl, anything below 90 degrees is cold for me, so I just dabbled my toes in the water. We then treated ourselves with some of the famous hot chocolate. YUMMY.

Dinner was sensational! Greeted by the chef at the door we could not say no to this bundle of joy. He picked our food and picked our wine...and frankly we couldn’t have picked a better place. I had crema norcina with sausage for 6.50 and Carley has strangozzi al tartufo for 14 €. Amazing!

At night we were actually surprised by the amount of people that were out. We had been told that Perugia was a college town. Well, not just any college town, but where the resent mystery of the “extreme sex murder” occurred and a 20 year old American college girl was convicted of murdering her British roommate. This fact made the trip even a little more heart pulsing than normal. The night-time streets became a little eerie and I would panic if I heard footsteps behind me in the small alleys. Of course it was all my imagination, but I couldn’t help but wonder if anyone walking by me had known her.

We went to a few bars, shook are tail feathers and made home in one piece.

The next day...of course...our goal was to eat! Carley is addicted to Tartufo so she had it again, this time in a ravioli and I had ravioli a la crema con nocci....AMAZING!

Most places are closed on Sundays, so we walked around and enjoyed the classic and well maintained antiquities of our weekend mistress. Around 5pm we were on a train back home and by 8 we were being yelled at in Termini Station by our beloved wife. Rome.
photo by: Shannon_atl