Sigiriya Travel Blog

Sigiriya
It was already around afternoon, and my plan was to climb Sigiriya Rock very early on the next day when it wasn't so hot. There isn't much to do in Sigiriya Village apart from the rock, so I just walked around for an hour or two and tried to find something to spend my time on. Didn't really find anything though, so I went to my guesthouse to read a little bit.

On the way back I was stopped by a man who asked me if I am interested in visiting Polonnaruwa, one of the famous ancient capital cities of Sri Lanka. My plan was to visit that place anyway, so after dealing and negotiating for a while, we ended up having a deal that sounded OK for me - as it turned out, it was even more OK for that guy...but I adapted quite fast in the coming days, and soon I knew where the real prices were for things like that.
Sigiriya
.. it's really important to compare offers before saying "yes" to anything...after a week or so in Sri Lanka, you get quite a good feeling for the realistic costs and you know if you are being ripped off or not, but the beginning is always a little hard, sometimes also a little expensive...

The next day started at 6 in the morning, and one hour later I was at Sigiriya Rock. As I wanted to visit Polonnaruwa and possibly some other cultural sights, I bought the "Cultural Triangle Round Ticket" at the counter. Quite expensive (50$), but it covers all the mayor attractions in that area (Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, and a hand full of other ancient cities and/or sights), and depending on how much you actually visit, it can save you a big bunch of money.
Panorama from Sigiriya Rock

Sigiriya Rock itself consists of a large area with ruins of houses, pools and some caves. The centerpiece of course it the rock, which must have looked spectacular when it was still fully intact. Unsurprisingly, today a lot of the old buildings and sculptures are in no good shape, but you still get the feeling that you are in a very special place. After all, a palace built on a lone rock in the middle of nowhere is something you don't visit every day.

There weren't many people early in the morning, so I had most of the ruins to myself. The view from the top of the rock is, again, beautiful, and you always discover interesting things in the distance (gigantic white buddha statues being the most common ones).

Directly afterwards I headed out to Polonnaruwa
Panorama from Sigiriya Rock
Sigiriya Hostels review
Family-owned guest house with clean rooms. Owned by a very nice Lady who not only cares for her guests, but also knows how to prepare a delicious curr… read entire review
photo by: Vlindeke