Mirissa Beach - a taste of paradise

Mirissa Travel Blog

Sunrise over Mirissa Beach
I was sleeping during half of the car ride (the long reading-evening combined with getting up at 4:30 cought up) , so some of the nice costal scenery went past without me noticing. But from what I saw, it is mainly a mixture of rural areas and the occasional, tourist-catering beach town.

After around a two-hours drive (and a near-crash with a cyclist) Mirissa Beach was reached. And what people said about this place is justified: The beach-area is mostly very clean, and the views from some of the lookouts are simply beautiful.

I was also very lucky with the accommodation, Palm Villa Hotel. It's not really a Hotel, more of an 8-bedroom-guesthouse built in a bungalow style. Room #1 was mine - including hanging mats in front of the terrace, which was only around 10 meters from the sea.
Mirissa Beach
That's really as good as it gets - as long as you are not sensitive to the constant sea-noise at night. It was no problem for me, so I was able to enjoy my two days here. With around 22$ per night (including breakfast), it was by far the most expensive accommodation I had in Sri Lanka, but I guess that's what you have to be prepared for in a tiny beach town where most of the guesthouses are quite sub-standard.

During the first night it was raining and thundering heavily, but the next morning was dry and calm again - the view from the rock (which you can see on the photos) delivered spectacular views of the bay, dipped into a hefty orange morning sunshine.

Still, Mirissa is purely a "get on the beach and chill out"-place. There's nothing to do, apart from one or two short walks or getting a tuk-tuk to the surrounding area.  That being said, after two nights I was already fed up with being lazy, and while I enjoyed taking a little time-out, I was happy to make my way to a dutch fort at the south-western coast.
Sunrise over Mirissa Beach
A small vitamine-bomb during the d…
A small vitamine-bomb during the …
Mirissa Hotels & Accommodations review
Great location, sitting directly at the beach. It has eight rooms, for of which are only a few meters from the sea. The surrounding palm trees are dra… read entire review
Mirissa