Dambulla

Dambulla Travel Blog

Dambulla Cave Temples
So off I went, and today's final destination was Sigiriya, where I spent one night in the Flower Inn. It's a small family-owned guest house, and the currys I got there for dinner were some of the best I had in Sri Lanka. Highly recommended!

Buuuuut not so fast. My first stop for today was the famous Dambulla Cave Temples. I had all my luggage with me (Sigiriya was still around 20 km away, and I didn't want to go there just to drop my stuff), but this turned out to be no problem. I could leave my big backpack in a small food/snack-shop directly at the entry-area of the caves - fortunately, because still a little overwhelmed by the temperatures and humidity, I was sweating like hell anyway ;-)

The temples are a fascinating sight, and the whole setting makes them something truly special. The place isn't very large (five caves of different sizes, and a broad walkway outside of them), but you have a great view down the hill overlooking Dambulla and the lush forest area around it.

Take good care of your feet, though. Walking around barefoot on the light stone ground  there can be a very hot experience, depending on the weather. On the day I visited, it certainly was, and I was more than happy that the main attraction was INSIDE in the shades ;-)

As mentioned, I wanted to spend the night somewhere else, so after getting back down I fetched a tuk-tuk and had a nice, but partly quite rough transfer to Sigiriya.
On the way to Dambulla