Arrival in Sri Lanka, and two days in Negombo

Negombo Travel Blog

Hello everybody,

I was travelling through Sri Lanka in april, and decided to share some of my experiences with you. Maybe they are helpful for your own trip, maybe you just want to browse through some pictures. Whatever it is that brought you here: I hope you like it ;-)

So on the 8th of april I set off for the small Island in the Indian Ocean.

My first two nights were spent in Negombo. I left the 12°C-cold Germany and arrived at 32°C, so I thought that relaxing a bit would be a good idea.

As I am not really the kind of person who goes to the beach and lies in the sand all day, I tried discovering the town a little bit. Negombo was and still is mainly a town of fishermen, and you can get freshly caught seafood on every street corner.
Negombo Bay
It also has a busy town center, but the tourist-sector is getting quite strong here, so you shouldn't expect to get any real bargains here.

What I like about Asia is that the people are unbeliveably friendly whereever you go. And soon I realized that it's the same for Sri Lanka. I was greeted whereever I went, people wanted to know where I come from, and not one day went by without being asked if I am married...once leading into a half-an-hour chat with an elderly local gentleman who told me to find somebody to take care of me when I am older!!! (I promised him I would do my best ;-)

Anyway, two nights were enough here, and after finally figuring out the bus timetable, I decided to start my journey through Ceylon and headed to the Cultural Triangle.
Vlindeke says:
Sri Lanka is very worth visiting!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2010