Day 2 - Blue Runs

Avoriaz Travel Blog

Avoriaz
We started the day off with a hearty breakfast of baguettes with salami and cheese, crossiants, pain au chocolat and coffee or orange juice. The perfect way to begin a day of skiing. Niki, Ursula and I accompanied Gav and Guy to ski school, as this was their first ski trip. Hopefully they would make it home with no broken bones at lunch time.

The rest of us strapped the ski’s on and made our way out to see what Avoriaz had to offer. Following on from last year’s trip, I hoped to manage some of the harder blues and a few red runs. Only an hour or so into the ski it would become clear that this probably won’t be the case, as my knee gave way quite a bit on a steep slope. I kept it simple and careful for the rest of the morning, as I didn’t want a re-occurrence of my knee ligament problems on the first day.
Avoriaz

Avoriaz is quality. We identified a couple of really cool blue runs that zipped through a wooded area and included a few jumps which we took great pleasure in flying over. The resort also included a ski park, featuring a decent run filled with massive jumps. The ski lift we used frequently provided a great view of the ski park, and the skiers and boarders pulling off some seriously crazy tricks.

I spent the afternoon with Gav, taking it easy, whilst he practiced his snow ploughing and turning. We met up with the rest of the group in a nice little pub in town which advertised a 15min happy hour, where they offered 2 pints of beers for 3€. A stunning price since one pint cost 5€ at all other times. As 5pm came, it soon became clear that half of Avoriaz knew about this happy hour as well, and a mad rush to the bar commenced.

Later that night, Dave, Brett and Guy took their first turn at cooking in the Com Dine With Me competition, and prepared a seafood stir-fry for us. Happy with our first day of skiing, we decided to have a massive intake of beer and soon the party was rocking. The night soon became a blur and I can briefly remember being handcuffed to someone for a while, running about outside dressed only in someone’s pants and Dave not being able to keep his drink down! Tomorrow might be a tough day!

photo by: antschi