said the spider to the fly

San Pedro La Laguna Travel Blog

el lago

more than one friend told me that san pedro wasn't necessarily the ideal place for me to write.  i was warned of 'cocaine tourism,' heavy boat traffic and waste that polluted the lake, hippiecrites and farmers with machetes that would stop me on the road to strip me of all of my belongings.  they couldn't have been more wrong.  most of the tourists i have met are here to write, meditate, paint, relax and volunteer at local schools.  i have not had on person offer me cocaine, though a new friend pass me a handful of happy trees.  the lake is crystal clear and the farmers with machetes are quick to smile and wish me a nice day.  and after just 48 hours i have gotten almost all of act one of my screenplay knocked out and a few new pages of my novel.

writing is a funny thing...i've heard a lot of writers say that their best work is born of angst...for me, tropical surroundings and no agenda (ie formal work) invite my creator to come out and play.  it certainly helps that my house is in the absolute perfect setting.  lakefront, a healthy fifteen minute walk from town (which will keep me both excercising and out of the social 'scene') two trees right at the shore which seem like they were grown for the very purpose of hosting my hammock.  i have just enough equipment in my kitchen to prepare a good cup of joe and a proper meal, which i did last night for two of my new friends.  frittatas with eggplant, zucchini, carrots, bell peppers topped with oaxaca cheese and avocado with a side of fresh tortillas.

..patrick and kaylie gave me the ooohs and ahhhs that are the reason i cook in the first place, and dinner was followed by laughter-infused conversation, a few card games and a few hits from a makeshift pipe carved from the remainder of my carrot.

started my spanish classes yesterday...my classroom is a hut in a beautiful garden.  my teacher, franciso is very, very patient and adept at explaining the rules of his language in a way that makes sense to me.  being able to communicate in the native tongue can only make my trip (and my life) better.  Not that it could really get any better than this.  It's almost perfect.  I say 'almost' because my house is teeming with bugs of every shape and size.  I have made peace with the HUGE spiders that grace each of my walls at night.

I say hi to them and kindy ask them to stay out of my bed and my hair.  So far they've obliged.  The thousand other bugs are pretty gross, and there was a really effing annoying fly periodically buzzing in my ear while i slept last night (thank goodness for the very effective natural sleep aids i found at the local pharmacy) but I'm dealing better that I would have given myself credit for being capable of.  The one exception:  last night I was sitting on my wonderful little porch, plugging away at my script with gusto when I looked over and saw a scorpion the size of my thumb scampering across my porch.  I immediately reverted back to an episode of man vs. wild and debated pouncing on it with a knife and severing its stinger (though i had no plans to eat it afterward)... but, like a good little soldier, he vacated my porch as quickly as he had appeared.

Thats all for now - off for my second three-hour spansih lesson.  hasta luego.

sunset