KOMODO, dangerously beautiful land!

Labuan Bajo Travel Blog

the team without me T_T since i was taking this picture

May 30 - June 4, 2007

Participating into Indonesia Reef monitoring 2007 with National Geographic Indonesia, I did got blast of excitement! A lot of new experiences, new places and new-very nice friends!

8 participants and a coordinator left Jakarta in the early morning of May 30. We met in Soekarno Hatta at 5 am; Sari “hamilimabulan” the dive coordinator, Jose Richard (Ricky) and Arianne “Miss Komodo” Peligrino from Philippines, Gordan Yap from Malaysia, Mingkwan Nanagara from Thailand, Dede “Dugong” Gusmand, Ical “jayus” Arifin, Pak Mus and Kekeuw (Yunnie Kirana/Kiki from Balikpapan and Ms. bancikamera Debbie from NGI joined us later)! We had to take a flight from Jakarta to Denpasar before we got “peculiar” flight to Labuan Bajo.

thrilled in the air
It was my first time to use small such a Fokker plane to fly, quite thrilling yet fun! I had more great view during the flight for its limited altitude.

Friendly greet by local parties (Putri Naga Komodo, Komodo National Park management and local government), we were welcomed with a symbolic ceremonial. Native songs and mantras with good meaning came over us since we arrived in Komodo Airport to Gardena where we had lunch. Pak Mus got Tuak (local palm-wine) whilst Ricky looked funny with given cap and a struggling chicken on his arm.

We stayed in Bajo Beach hotel and got our meal by Gardena as we were in Labuan Bajo. Labuan bajo was a vital city of new developing Manggarai Barat province; it had a port-bay where I saw many quite big boat/ phinisi parked. The view was good. If you look at to the bay, you’ll see some small isles emerging up from the sea made a unique silhouette while the sun set down. In the night we got some short briefing by Putri Naga Komodo about the reef monitoring program.

ana_pt says:
Nice. :) looking forward to go there
Posted on: Apr 29, 2015
inikeke says:
it was! my best divetrip so far :) about NGI, i just did volunteering work for its reef monitoring program.. or sometimes as freelance illustrator.. :)
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
terrychristoforus says:
Great trip to Komodo!! do you work for NGI ? salam kenal
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
the team without me T_T since i wa…
the team without me T_T since i w…
Ricky and the chicken