Is this it?

Savannah Travel Blog

I have heard so much about Savannah. How it is this wonderful place that I absolutely cannot leave GA without seeing. I guess my mistake was getting this grand idea of Savannah in my head to start with.

Being stationed at Ft Gordon, in Augusta, GA, for the last 9 months, I have an opportunity to travel the area quite a bit. (Atlanta, Charlteston, Disney, and DC) I expected Savannah to be much like Charleston, and I couldn't have been more wrong! I mean it was alright, but I am glad it was only a 3 hour drive. It would have been nice for a day trip, not even worth getting a hotel room for.

We stopped by Hilton Head for some beach action before we went to Savannah. This was because Hilton Head beaches didn't allow dogs, and poor Louie hasn't gone anywhere fun yet! But Hilton Head wasn't too far away. And it was very pretty. You could definitely tell that they spared no expense at creating a lovely vacation place. It was very picturesque. I wish we had just stayed there instead of Savannah! The water was very warm for Atlantic, but my west coaster friend complained because the water wasn't crystal clear, well welcome to the east coast! But it was pretty particley. Oh! We also ate at Main St Cafe and Pub for lunch. That was pretty delish. I enjoyed my greek salad quite thoroughly! I was pretty happy with that place.

There wasn't much to see. It was kind of nice to walk around. We had dinner the first day at Vinnie Van GoGo's pizza. That was pretty good, the slices were huge and one slice was enough for me! And for dessert we went to Lulu's Chocolate Bar. I didn't have anything because I don't really like chocolate. My friend Jo had Creme Brulee (her favorite) and Matt had a huge piece of cookie warmed with ice cream. They both loved their desserts. Matt also had their special chocolate martini. He complained it was too strong (he's a wimp), I thought it tasted fine. He was then drunk, such a lightweight! :) I personally had Gelato at this Gelatooooh place. It was pretty good. It definitely hit the spot on a hot Georgian night.

So this morning we went to Tybee Island, having heard how nice it is. We first stopped to have breakfast at JJ's. It wasn't anything spectacular. Their biscuits were huge, and pretty tasty. But their Popeye's on the Beach omelette (spinach, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes) had way too much spinach and wasn't that good at all. Then I found a little hair in it. YUCK! And as for my friend's meals.... they said it was something they could have made at home. Then we proceeded to drive around Tybee Island. There is nothing to do there besides go to the beach. (And the beach doesn't allow dogs) So that was out of the question, and everything else was super touristy. No thanks!

Off we headed back to Savannah to see if there was anything we might have overlooked the first time. Nope. We did however make it a point to walk down River St. It was also super touristy. It was lined with restaurant and tourist shops. They do have this amazing candy shop. Their candy apples were like pieces of art. They designed them to look like butterflies and sea creatures and all sorts of other things. Pretty nifty.
photo by: Deb