Tijuca Forest in the rain!

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

Today we took a tour into Tijuca Forest. First of all, I have to say, our guide was AMAZING! We set the tour up through the hotel, and obviously requested an English speaking guide which, sometimes, you actually get. Not only was his English almost perfect but he was sooo knowledgeable about the forest and plants and trees!

Had it not been raining we would have been in an open Land Rover, but since it was raining it was covered. Getting into the forest, and seeing the lush, amazing trees and flowers was incredible! It truly was unlike anything I had ever seen before! I´m almost glad it was raining because it wasn´t busy and all the flowers were open and the greens of the trees, ferns and other flora were amazing! We stopped at one of the waterfalls and although with the rain and the waterfall we were soaked, it really didn't matter, it was amazing! Later we stopped at a little man-made lake and saw turtles and little tadpoles or little fish, it was so lush!! Really, I can´t get over it! We, ok, the guide and I, were able to catch a glimpse of a very yellow toucan, but my mother was a bit slow and didn't see it, oh well!! It was definitely worth every moment of the trip!!

Later that afternoon, because of all the rain we went over to Leblon Shopping Center.
love the sidewalks!
It was packed, maybe because it was Mother's Day, maybe because it was raining, but at least we were out and about walking around. We had a blast looking at all the shops, bought lots of shoes, our weakness, and had an interesting dinner. I'm still not really sure what I ate because I just pointed at something on the menu, but it was good, so who cares!
its a cork tree!