A sawmill and a steep cobbled road

Schiltach Travel Blog

Sawmill
We stopped in Schiltach to walk around and found ourselves next to a sawmill museum.  The river flows under the building, turning the large wheel which turned the gears but didn't do any sawing because it was just for show.  We paused on the bridge and watched the trout swimming in the stream.  I can't remember why, but we decided to walk up the tallest, steepest hill in town.  The road was all cobblestones and the buildings were Fachwerk (with the wood beams).  Some of the buildings had pictures etched into the wall, others had pictures painted on them.  I think my little cousins just about gave my uncle a heart attack because they ran all the way up the hill out of sight.  My uncle got mad because he didn't want them kidnapped (as cute as they are, I'm sure any potential kidnapper would see the little monsters they can be and would return them at once).  And once we reached the top, they turned around and ran all the way down the steep hill.  This time we were sure they would trip and fall and roll down the hill.  And when they reached the bottom, they just kept going, right out into the road!  Good thing no cars were coming!  I guess I see why my uncle doesn't like to take the boys out.  But it was a nice stop in a pretty town.
homes in Schiltach