Happy Birthday!

Gomaringen Travel Blog

veggies on the grill

It was the birthday of a friend of my aunt's, so we all went to Gomaringen for a barbeque.   Just about everyone there knew English, but very few actually attempted to speak it to me.  They have excellent English, but sometimes feel it isn't perfect and so therefore are shy to use it!  In most cases, their English is better than mine and I generally butcher my German.  But everyone is polite and says how wonderful I speak it.  Anyway, basically my uncle and I stood together and spoke English and I attempted to eavesdrop on conversations to practice my German, but didn't understand much.

This family had a beautiful single family home on a corner lot with a small pond and a creek running alongside it with a huge willow tree.

carving the meat
  It was gorgeous, so unlike any other German home I've been to.  They were very well off.  And the grilled food was amazing!  I've never had such a fancy barbeque before.

After dinner, the kids got together and sent up wish balloons.  These were really neat  They were paper balloons (like mini hot air balloons) and you write your wish on the outside.  Then you light the fuel and hold it until it creates enough hot air to float on its own.  Then the balloon floats up above your head and high up into the sky.  You can look up and see a bunch of small red dots in the sky.  It was such a neat view and so unlike anything I've ever done before.  (Except maybe when you write your name and address on a card and tie it to a helium balloon, let it go, and hope whoever finds it returns your card to you.  Remember doing that when you were a kid?  I don't think they do that anymore because of the danger to animals eating the balloons).   But it was really neat to look up and see the balloons and follow them until they rose so high you couldn't see them anymore or they burned out.  I wonder what people nearby were thinking when they looked up and saw those glowing red dots in the sky.  Perhaps an alien invasion?

pond