Day 1 - the last day

Kathmandu Travel Blog

It wasn't a fantastic sleep with me being awake for a couple of hours in the middle of night but it was better than some nights.  The one thing that really struck me was how quiet the place was.  In Doha I have an A/C unit running just above my head and not having the constant drone was odd.

Tea was provided then space offered for a bath/shower. No running hot water here, just a cold shower with a bucket of hot water in one corner of the bathroom. Certainly not what I am use to, but I it works. It is amazing what we have grown accustomed to versus what we actually need to get by in life.

After a short breakfast a taxi was arranged and Akash and I went off to the buddhdist temple. Unfortunately Akash didn't understand that I was actually interested in climbing the 365 steps to the top. Regardless we got there. The typical tourist touts were there try to sell me stuff but they were not as bad as some of the places that I've visited in India.

From the temple we took a taxi back down to Durbar where we met up with Akash's friend Nitish. We looked around that part for a while then started to walk back to Sipi's place.   I had an interesting experience just away from Durbar where we headed down an alley just over 4 feet wide only to discover a guy coming towards us carrying a load 4x8 sheets of plywood. Just followed everybody else's lead, ducked as the plywood went over my head.

Along the way back to the house we ran into the protesters.  I we went past the main meeting grounds with a lot of people already there.  We also came across a large group of them and stepped aside to let them pass.  After probably 20,000 of the protesters passed we decided to cut through the parade anyway since there didn't see to be an end in sight.

While we were driving to the first temple this morning, I realized that I have reached some sort critical level in terms of acceptance of the unusual. Although the city of Kathmandu is crowded and chaotic, it doesn't seem to make me flinch even in the slightest...about the only thing that I noticed is that the roads are really bumpy...five years ago a trip like this would have easily pushed me into culture shock. I think my constant wandering through the crowded older parts of Doha is raising my tolerance level.

I continue to be served obscene amounts of food. I think they are still interested in watching me try to eat, but I continue...I still don't have the hang of eating rice with my hands. So far, so good on the food aspect. The real telling point will be tomorrow. My trips to Chennai didn't work out so well without the help of pepto bismol.  I haven't had any type of intestinal problem now since after my trip to Rio when I stopped taking the meds for the stomach...including a trip to Hyderabad. Given that this is only a 6 day trip and that the food is very tolerable, I think we are good.

Sipi's dad has been quite busy. He has arranged a taxi for me tomorrow morning to take me to the airport for the mountain flight.

Spent a couple of hours resting then it was off the Hindu temple Pashupatinath. Akash and Nitish took me through a back way and managed to avoid having to pay. This was a rather strange experience. Here are 3 bodies being cremated in public with the smoke basically encircling us. I watched as another body was prepared but we ran short on time so I didn’t to see the entire proceedings. If I am held here in Kathmandu for an extra couple of days, I will go off and try to watch this a bit more.

Kathmandu