Shopping

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

I am completely out of it. hahahaha. Do not shop in Impanema or Copa Cobana completely over priced. Take the metro and get off at Carioca station and walk towards the older buildings and it is like a hidden little world. Anything you want you can get it here for a quarter of the price. It is a must go for haviannas (Brazilian flip flop/thongs/sandals...which ever name you choose to use). It is cool though. just dont look lost! hahahah. the food is also a quarter if not less the price that you will pay at the touristy locations. I would recommend it. You can also go to some of the famous 17th century churches and things while shopping. I met some really cool people at the market. I would recommend that you dont speak English when you feel confused or that you stop at a restaurant to read your map. The market is organized chaos so if you are not accoustomed to tons of people yelling and lots of stalls and things like this then you may get a headache. However if you go with the mindset that you are going for particular items this is definitely a go to spot. I am trying to decide what to buy for everyone. difficult decision.

ttyl
good day loves. Today was my last day on antibiotics. So i felt up for some Samba. I took a class today which was tought by a lady name Adiline. It was tons of fun. I definately recommend a samba class as one of the must do things in Brazil. Just the drums and rythm was enough to captivate your body. it create movements that I didnt know existed. I loved it. I was fortunate enough to have the class for free. I would definately take samba all year around if I lived in Brazil. other than samba, i sat at the beach today. Copa Cobana is a must see expensive city with tons of cool shops leading to Impanema. I loved it. Ok so everytime I give up on good ppl in Brazil I meet a good one. Today I met a really cool girl on a bus. Sweet she walked my lost behind to the samba school. She spoke English and I convinced her to come to GSU. YES! hahahaha but for now loves i will go to bed and try to rest up. I must say that I would love to attend a museum, but museum are bad enough in English..imagine it in Portuguese. I prefer colonial places and the history surrouding these spots.

xoxo
kmis says:
You must definitely be tired because, although I can tell you enjoyed your day, you don't have that hint of excitement. That's good! You got all the juice out of your day to the point of exhaustion! haha Definitely keep doing that, because you only have a few more days.
And I'm already waiting to see pictures =)
Posted on: May 20, 2010
Good day. It has been a while since my last post. I have been sick and on antibiotics for the past couple of days. I cant breath and my chest hurts:(...other than that I am happy to be in Brazil still. I will be happy to move to another city but it cost too much to do so. Brazil Reals are worth alot so basically I am not buying anyone any gifts. lol. But this entry is about the Germans that I have met. I met some Germans who seemed nice until one ask me if he could pay me for a lay. I was like HELL NO YOU CANNOT FREAKING PAY ME FOR SEX. But he was drunk and thought that I was attractive i guess. So I saw him another day and he apologized to me, but like seriously who does that? lol. I was suppose to go on a couple of activities that I had already paid for but I didnt because i was vomitting like alot. Now for activities. Ladies and Gents if you go to a party where the price to enter is more that 20Reals, dont enter it. Basically some places raise the prices for tourist. The average Brazilian makes like $510Reals/month so anything really above 10Reals is too much to pay. not to mention drinks. crazy! I am going to finally Samba tonight. it is crazy fun I guess. I wish that I had a friend with me here at times but it is also a great idea to travel alone. You meet tons of cool ppl but then you meet the toothpaste stealing travelers. wtf! lol tchau tchau for now. only for more days left on my adventure.
kmis says:
Hey girrrl. Wow what an adventure. Awee, I am praying that you feel better while 4 days left to vacation. Girl something always make you sick. Po-thang. Well try to enjoy the rest of your stay in Brazil. Girrrrrrrl you know I am commenting on that drunk buzzard. What the heck! Well they say when you drunk, those thoughts and feelings are full-fledge, so he was really saying how he felt. Drunkeness is not an excuse.
(Zero tolerance for foolishness) So, yep you did right!
Kim:)
kmis says:
oh, and of course, I hope that you feel better soon and that you won't be needing those antibiotics for much longer u.u - Mariana
O.O
Dang, drunk or not that was shameless, that's just waaaaay too creepy. If I was you I would avoid that dude from now on. I hope that you will have lots of fun dancing samba tonight, and good thing that you're learning how NOT to use your money
Have fun tonight, avoid the drunkens
Posted on: May 19, 2010

So Rio is a very expensive city. It is one of the most expensive cities that I have been to. I've been complaining that I can only eat street food since it cost cheaper. So the hostel I am staying at had a one year party and someone won tickets to the funk party. Funk is this music that like takes old school R&B/hip hop and turn places it sometimes with a different beat or faster rhythm. So it is derived out of the slums. It is often dangerous and exploits women...and guess what? I want to go!!! Just my luck that the lady who won the ticket will not be here so she gave me a $60 pass..Yes! my luck does go beyond waters!!!! My luck however fails me when I met a French Canadian guy who is so hot and sweet and he leaves today. Like he is hot! Not usually my type but he is so handsome, probably a good thing that he is leaving. hahaha. Next thing if you get a chance watch Snoop Dogg and Pharell's Beutiful' vedio do it, because all I have been doing is all of these things. haha. I will try to make it to the samba school this Wednesday though. But for now I am sick as a dog. WAIT last thing. Did you know when you tell a Brazilian man "no" he takes it as a challenge. Also if a Brazilian likes a guys she is full trottle for him...lol A Brazilian girl attacked this English guy at the club because he told her that he had a lady. Crazy! like scratch him up! Attacked his face! and she was sober! different expirience man in Trinidad you wouldnt even touch a guy/girl you would let them come to you. Yikes! I also had to attack a man at a party. One minute I am standing next minute his hands is grabbing my face for a kiss. i literally pulled away and he scartch my face! Awe hell now, I hit and kicked that man so hard. They are like vultures here. Also the men are getting offended because I tell them that I do not speak english and they think that I am lying to escape, which then enrages them. My fault I am Black in Brazil and dont know Portuguese. lol. Fun city though.

one week until my travels stop:(

kmis says:
LOL. Girl that's too many attacks on folk! Wheew, them peoples are kinda rough when it comes to rejection! You definitely deserve the scary award. Girl you will have to tell us in grave detail about this one!.. well i'm glad your luck paid off for the $60 pass to go to that funk music party thingamabob. You've probably already went...so I will say, continue to have fun, be safe.

Kim:)
Posted on: May 17, 2010
kmis says:
OMG!!!! I really hope you washed your face well after such attack, and I cannot believe that you still say that it is a fun city although you were just attacked!!! Just letting you know that we are going to need more details because so far that it seems like a scary experience, not fun at all.
Posted on: May 17, 2010
Good day followers,

I am really having a blast in Rio I almost dont want to leave. It is allowing me to have a peaceful state of mind. Today I will travel up to Santa Teresa to go visit some old places and what not. I guess that I am just beginning to accept the fact that the food doesnt suck, it is just not seasoned or ever cooked browned. hahahha; I went out to a Samba party in Impanema two nights ago and had tons of fun. Although the tourist all thought that I was Brazilian and could not stop hitting on me. An Irish guy was dancing with me and was like: the Irish are not known for much especially dancing but we are known for other things. LOL Try to figure out what he was suggesting. ha! Anyhow I had ppl offer to buy me things, it is weird I was like no! I am not Brazilian, No! dont buy me that in exchange for THAT! and NO! stop touching and kissing my neck. hahahah I thought Brazilians are forward. I have since decided that I will only places where I know that the tourist will not be. It is fun though I am really enjoying my trip. I will take the metro and the train to get to my friends house today. She will give me a tour of the Favela and I will help her at a day care today. It should be tons of fun I guess. I was trying to think of what I missed from Trinidad or from the states, unfortunately guys I dont miss anything. The race thing is non existant here to me as steretypes is really based on economic statuses. I might could live in Brazil!!!! hahahaha I am meeting tons of ppl and not liking some travelers, especially the ones who liter, smoke, and dont bath, but I Will save that for another time.

tchau

trinbago says:
You will chica. and you will love it. for now I am loving it for us both.
Posted on: May 16, 2010
kmis says:
You are living it! I'm glad to hear you're having fun, and I can imagine you sharing even more details when you come. One day I'll have to go get a taste of Brazil myself.
Posted on: May 13, 2010
Good day dear travelers...

Today I deared to take the train in Rio. It was great easy to get lost, lots of people, and the beggars, yes! my type of city. lol But on a serious note I absolutely loved the view. It is amazing this country. If you feel lost, come to Brazil everything you hoped for or everything in your wildest dreams can be seen. i definitely think that I will live here at some point. I want to live in South America I think that it is my calling. Maybe I can teach crime at the university. lol. huge maybe. On to the topic. Sugarloaf is a man made wonder. It is by far the best and most worthful thing that everyone should expirience. It cost 44Reals to get up (which is 44/$1.82 USD). The pictures from up here there are amazing. It is mountains meets the ocean meet the jungle. While up there I met my friend JoJo (lol he is a monkey...yes a real life monkey). Brazil are full of these little monkeys that come in the homes...lol. Imagine me eating a cookie and a blasted monkey scares the bloody hell out of me. lol. I then dropped the cookie which thanks to the 3 secs rule I was able to recover (lol). They are so cute though. The culture and history of Brazil is breathtaking forsure. It is rich and full of life. Carioca ppl have made this town into a must see heaven on earth. Joke on me. How about the Christ the Redeemer statue is on vacation. Of all months!!! Someone gaffittied the statue, poor Jesus. I think that it is amazing that the statue is so high up in the sky and so amazing because it is like the city has itś guardian angle over it at all times. I love Brazil. I almost want to cry from this trip and getting to know the culture and the ppl but I will spear my emotions until I come back to school hahahah then I will let the tears flow. ha!

Tchau Tchau for now my followers
Hey everyone. Today was a rainy day:(. since I came to Rio all I have eaten is corn and watermelon. I am sharing a room with and English lass, an Italian, two New Zealanders, a Swedish chick, and a mix chick (british accent). I am having fun though. After practically sleeping through all of Sunday I decided to have some drinks. At the bar I met this weird but funny Israeli guy. He looked German to me with long blond curry hair:). But not the point, We were just talking and having a good time. Two mojitos later I decided to fine my lonely planet book that I had borrowed from the front desk and find something to do. 10 pm at night I managed to round up 6 ppl to go Samba with me. We had so much fun!!!! I recommend that everyone see live Samba. I keep getting hit on by European men (I think it´s because they all think that I am Brazilian)..lol. I had a blast though they gave us a peice of paper, if you loose the paper you had to pay $100 Reals (like $75) just to get out of the club, not in!!! Brazil is different but fun for sure. I honestly think that I can live here and have a great life. I am actually getting more and more sad to leave and my trip just started....lol. The food is not the best so far. I hope that it will get better the further south and african it gets. for now I am going to go eat something of substance aka rice (I cant find rice anywhere). Oh and Copa Cobana is beautiful. I will send pictures next time. Muah!
kmis says:
Heey girl, well it sounds like you are absolutely having a blast. I'm am so glad this is a place an amazing dreamy country. Wish I could experience traveling to another country! Girl maybe one day I can experience the same luxury. You know me, trying to picture the tall statue of Jesus (Gaurdian Angel) that has to be a beautiful sight to see! Well enjoy! Hope the food gets better. Wow, little monkeys. Well you definitely have friendly company! WOw. I don't know what I would do if I had little monkey's around me. Awe! But that's so sweet. well girl it sounds like your trip is getting better and better....enjoy! Chat with you lata.... Kim:)
Posted on: May 12, 2010
kmis says:
Wait, you pay to get out instead of in? Now that's something, kinda... funny? I don't know, just unexpected or weird. And how did you get six people to go samba with you? Where they all from your hostel? And please go get your food of substance or we'll find you skinnier when you come back!
We'll be waiting on the pictures ;)
Posted on: May 11, 2010
Hey Guys,

I decided to write an entry since it is raining here and I share a 14bed dorm and waiting for the bathroom is killer! not bad really but still. So I went to dinner last night and I had fun (I only ate corn dont ask questions corn and sprite is all I have been craving in Brazil). Anyhow, Ladies though Brazilian men are hot they come on way to strong. here I am at dinner minding my own business when a Brazilian guy comes up to me and proceeds to carry on a broken Emglish conversation. The convo began like hey and 2 mins later he was like I love you!!! WTF then proceeded to lick me...Bloody Hell...how can you dodge a lick! anyhow ladies i literally ran from him. hahaha suck a chicken. Anyhow I love the hostel I am staying at it is by far the best and safest I have ever been at. It is clean and conviniently located. I lost $200 though going to the ATM close to the hostel. my card decided to act a fool for whatever reason. I hate ATMś and traveling. But for now I will begin taking pictures and things like this...muah!
Eric says:
Hey I was just in Brazil with my fiancee and had a blast. The ATMs are definitely a bit weird; a lot of them shut down after 10PM or limit the amount of money you can withdraw due to high incidents of ATM "kidnappings". I tried to stick to the more international banks, like Citi and HSBC, and didn't have any problems. Fortunately, none of us got licked either. Have fun!
trinbago says:
thanks ya´ll. I will continue to attempt to skype bank of america. lol..if not I will be calling for one of you guys to work the ave and send me some money...lol
kmis says:
You know that when you come back we will be asking about "the lick" scene, right? I just can't possibly imagine how could that happen, or how would anyone even have the guts to do such daring thing... eww.
And isn't there anything that you can do to get your money back? Is the ATM randomly located or is it next to a bank where you could try asking?
We'll be waiting to hear about your next adventure ;)
Posted on: May 10, 2010

Hey guys as promise I told you I would keep you all updated. I had the longest flight in the history of mandkind...hahahahah not really. I was able to have lunch with my cousin yesterday which was great. After having lunch with him I went to the jfk airport to board my flight. It was long but I arrived at 4:40am an hour earlier than initially planned. I waited at the airport until 8am before I contacted my a friend of my friends. Rio is really nice and HOT! if this is what winter is like well what is summer...hotter than Africa out this peice...lol. But like expected everyone assume that I am Brazilian, which I must say I dont mind one bit. I asked a guy in the airport for help making a telephone call and it was funny. Me and my phone calls while traveling. I wish a bunch of girls could´ve come on this trip definitely alot of good looking ppl down here man. Oh and the culture is great. hahaha I did come for the culture right? reevaluating, jk. But it seems really organized. I saw a girl get hit by a bus though..that´s never cool no matter how many times you see it, yikes! To all of my noble followers I´ll try to write another entry as I actually begin traveling, for now I am going to enjoy my welcome to Brazil celebration. I might eat some meat down here..nothing worst than having someone prepare food for you that you cant eat...chicken it is!

Boa Tarde for now.

kmis says:
Yea girrl it's Kim. That has to be cool, for you to fit in with the Brazilians! I know it's more fun to go on these trips with a lot of your friends but girl gone ahead and enjoy. Hey chi...try to get a pen pal this time (yeah)enjoy your Brazil celebration. Be safe, (Gotta pray for the girl that got hit by the bus)hope she is alright! Enjoy...Look foward to seeing some nice pics :)...c-ya lata
kmis says:
Well that definitely sounds like a good start, and looking like you're Brazilian will help you make your way through the country and their culture.
Will be checking for your next post :)
-Mariana