In Haifa

Haifa Travel Blog

In the subway

Last summer, I was putting my backpack in the luggage compartment of the bus that would take me from Belgrade to Sarajevo. Right next to me I heard someone speaking to the driver in English. I could get, by her accent, she was from Argentina. We spent my 2 last days in Sarajevo together and then I went back home. Some time in April this year, she called me and told me she was planning a trip to the Middle East for the summer and asked me if I wanted to join her... Did I? OF COURSE!!!

Jessy was travelling to Israel 2 weeks before me so, after a lot of planning, mails back and forth and skype, we agreed to meet in the hostel in Haifa.

I took a night flight from Madrid to Tel Aviv.

In the subway
I got there sometime around 5am and, half an hour later, I was smoking a cigarette outside the terminal after having gone to the bathroom, changed money, taken my backpack and cleared customs. Everything went very fast and smooth. I had a coffee in the bar and at 6:20am I took the train to Haifa. The trip takes an hour and a half and costs 37,50 shekels. It was Sunday and there were lots of young soldiers travelling to their destinations, in their uniforms and many of them carrying their M16's.

I got to Haifa and walked to the hostel. It's really close to the station and very easy to reach. I checked in and chatted a bit with the woman in the reception, who was very nice and showed me the kitchen so I could make myself a nice coffee while waiting for Jessy.

View from the Baha'i Gardens
I enjoyed my coffee in the nice patio they have in the back part of the hostel, all full with plants. The heat and humidity was already quite high and it was only 8.30!!  Jessy arrived at around 9 and we were really happy to see each other again. After saying goodbye in Sarajevo, there we were, in Israel, one year later. We chatted for a couple of hours until we could enter our room, have a shower and then we went to visit Haifa's main sight... the Baha'i Gardens.

The tour entrance to the gardens (free of charge) is on the top of Mount Carmel, at Yefe Nof St, so we decided to take the subway (6,20 shekels) on our way up and walk down from there after the visit. It's quite a steep way up and the heat and humidity were starting to be suffocating, so the subway (which feels more like an underground funicular) sounded great.

Baha'i Gardens
We arrived to the gardens a few minutes before noon, which was great since the guided English tour starts at noon (everyday but Wednesday). In the tour, they'll explain you everything about the Baha'i religion while you enjoy the views over Haifa and the gardens, trimmed to perfection. If I remember right, it was something like 1400 steps down. Considering I was really tired with the flight and the heat was sufficating, by the end of the tour I was exhausted and my legs shaking! Anyway, the visit was really nice and interesting, since I didn't even know a religion called Baha'i existed.

After our visit, we looked for a place to eat. Jessy told me she wanted to invite me for my first falafel of the trip, so great! We found a restaurant with air-con and had a delicious falafel. After that, we went to the hostel. It was too hot to walk around and I really needed to take a nap.

Later in the evening, we went out for a walk around the German Colony (basically Ben Gurion Ave), from where you can enjoy great views of the Baha'i Gardens. We had dinner in one of the many restaurants and went back to the hostel for a nice chat in the patio until past nidnight.

travelingJacq says:
Sounds like a great trip!! I really enjoy all your travel photos too :-}
Posted on: Jan 24, 2011
View from the Bahai Gardens
View from the Baha'i Gardens
Haifa Hostels review
Very nice hostel in Haifa. The location is very good, just 5 minutes walk from the train station and the metro station (in case you decide to use) is … read entire review
Haifa