Florence Italy- Day 3

Florence Travel Blog

The real David... beautiful

Today we wanted to visit Accademia (to see the statue of David) and the Uffizi Gallery.  The line was very long for Accademia so I walked around to find this place to make a reservation... luckily i was able to make one for later that afternoon, at 3:30pm.  So on that note... make reservations to visit her the day before like the travel books say you should.  We then walked to the Uffizi gallery finding its line even longer.  So we had spare time and took a walk up the hill to our camp site to get stuff we didn't need to ship home since our backpacks were becoming too full.  We got a great italian meal along the way as well.  We had 10 pounds of stuff and it ended up costing 72 euro, yikes but its better than carrying it for another 3 weeks.

Then we went to our reservation at Accademia.  We first looked at lots of Religious paintings, I must have seen 20+ Madonna of Humility.  Then we saw other statues and David.  David was breathtaking.  His pose was so natural and the marble so smooth.  I can't begin to imagine the time that went into making the statue.  His hands and feet have incredible detail and each muscle looks just right.  He is also much larger than he appears in pictures, i'm guessing 15 feet tall or more.  I snuck a picture of his ass even though there were camera nazi people everywhere making sure you wouldn't take a picture.

We ate dinner and headed back to the camp site early after making reservations for a morning train.... for many Italian trains you need reservations to get on.

photo by: monky