LONDON- Day 1- trafalgar square, west minster abby, Big Ben....

London Travel Blog

Tower Bridge

I have to say while spending a year planning this trip I never thought it would actually happen... Even after I bought my plane ticket in January, I thought something would come along and prevent me from going on this trip.  I took many precautions, I sacrificed skiing outrageously for fear of breaking a bone or tearing my ACL a few months before a trip that I would need to be in good walking condition for.  A week before the trip I packed, unpacked, and repacked many many times packing just enough things without overloading my backpack.  Still the excitement wasn't really there... I didn't feel like this Journey was real, just something I imagined and planned.  However the day came and I got my bag and headed off to the airport with my friend Ryan to start our adventure.

Westminster Abbey
  It wasn't until I was up in the air that I got excited but it still was hard to believe we were going to be traveling for 6 weeks together.  I just hoped that we would get along for the trip and make the most of it!

We, meaning myself and friend Ryan, arrived in London at 7am Tuesday May 30th, 2006.  The overnight flight was a long one and we were too excited to sleep much.  We checked into our Hostel and started our super tourism exploration right away.  It wasn't until I saw the first recognizable land mark, the tower bridge, that I realized wow this is really beginning!

We started with the traditional Red Hop on - Hop off bus.  This helped us get the orientation of the city and where things are located to visit later on our trip.

Sir Isaac Newtons Tomb... shh you aren't supposed to take pictures inside!
  We drove past the tower Bridge, London Tower, Buckingham Palace, parks, bridges, Big Ben, London eye, and more.

The first tourist attraction we participated in was feeding the Pigeons at Trafalger Square, while taking pictures of course.  We did a quick trip into the National Gallery of Art which is free but they request a donation.  We also didn't waste any time and went to Westminster Abbey.  I wasn't sure what to expect but I definently didn't expect what I saw.  It was absolutely Huge and stuffed with sarcophaguses and memorials.  Everywhere you looked!!!  It was a decent attraction but unfortuenently at the time we were inexperienced with tourism and I would suggest to anyone who visits for the first time to use the tour guide.

Beautiful Big Ben
  I feel it would have been a better experience if I had someone pointing out the important things I should see.  The highlite of West Minster Abbey, for me, was seeing Sir Isaac Newton's Tomb.  It was quite elaborate and an impressive monument, especially since I was a fan of the Da Vinci code and a Engineering major.  You aren't supposed to take pictures but there was an asian sitting in a seat with a sneaky camera and was taking pictures so I sat next to him and joined.

Big Ben is right next to West Minster Abbey and we got great pictures from outside.  We didn't venture inside.  We also stopped at the National History Museum which was free, but very unimpressive if you have been to the Smithsonian National History Museum in Washington DC.    Then we figured out the tube or metro to go home and it is quite easy in London and we had no trouble getting around.

Westminster Abbey
Sir Isaac Newtons Tomb... shh you …
Sir Isaac Newtons Tomb... shh you…
Trafalgar Square