Travelling North

Aberdeen Travel Blog

Enterance To Aberdeen Airport

For all the times I've departed from the UK this was a first to go through Aberdeen,which is up in the North East Of Scotland. Son was up and fed beore I even got up and I managed a couple of cups of tea as I loaded the car and set off at 3-50am to go up and collect the others. Found them still sitting eating breakfast, which didn't please me to much, and eventually after my mother had gone round making sure EVERYTHING was switched off we eventually got under way at quarter past four.

First bit of the journey was to cut cross country and hit the M80 motorway just north of Cumbernauld. Traffic was pretty non existant and we made good  time and hit Perth before 5am. Decided to stop and have a stretch and get a bit of fresh air as car wasn't booked into the long stay car park until 7am.

Grabbing Breakfast

Carried on up through Dundee, which was where my good knowledge of the road ended, though I had been up the rest of the A90 often enough to know it is a nightmare for speed cameras, so found someone that was doing a decent enough speed and tucked in behind them. Either they had a Sat Nav warning or knew the road because the brake lights came on just before every camera ;). In Aberdeen not long after 6am and followed the signs for the airport and found the long stay car park no problem. Courtesy shuttle bus to take you to the terminal that takes just 5 minutes.

Got into the airport and the check in wasn't open yet, so we hung about for 20 minutes until it did so that we could dump the cases. Checking mine in it was 23kg, as it had both kilt outfits, but they were decent about it and added the total of all our luggage and it was well under the 5x20kg we were allowed.

Helicopter Coming Into Land

Aberdeen is quite a small airport, but it was really busy, even that early in the morning, as it also serves as the main Heliport ferrying workers to the oil rigs in the North Sea. We managed to get a table in the cafe and went up and got something to eat before heading through to departures. With Norway being outside of the EU it made a visit to the Duty Free shop worthwhile.

Flight was boarded on time, not very busy, and with it being a small Dash 8 aircraft they had the doors closed as the last of the passengers got on and we took off on schedule at 9-50am

Plane Waiting