We Are Sailing

Oystese Travel Blog

Sailing Out Of Oystese

managed a bit of a long lie and got up about 9-30 for breakfast. With us all spread out over three cabins it took a bit of wandering about outside to get a cohesive plan of action. The one thing we did have to do was be at the harbour in Oystese for midday. I was only a five minute drive away and we left about quarter to twelve and parked near the pub.

Boat had been hired for the day,as part of the celebrations and more family and friends were already gathered waiting to board the boat called the 'Peer Gynt' . The plan was to sail out into the Hardangerfjorden and then sail up the Fyksesundet to a little village called Botnen, which was where Turids family originally came from.

Hills Across hardangerfjorden
Seems to be the family take the name of the place they come from, as Botnen had been her maiden name, and I saw plenty of other examples of this.

Once we had all boarded the boat set off, with most of the Norwegians going downstairs into the cabin. For most of them this was nothing new and they had seen it all before, so there was plenty of room for us on the top deck to take in the views as we sailed out of Oystese. We sailed past the cabins at Laupsa, where we were staying.

It was a beautiful sunny day and the fjord looked stunning with the hills across it still covered in snow and you could see above them the Flogefonna glacier, the southernmost ice age glacier, according to my cousin anyway. Great panoramic views all round and lost count of number of pictures I took, and I lost track of the directions I was taking them,so many of them look the same, as I just kept moving round the boat :D.

Haraald And Gertuds Summer House
Served with coffee and chocolate up on deck but as we went down the Fyksesundet and it narrowed we were in the shade of the fjord and it got quite chilly and I did take cover a couple of times for 5 minutes to heat up a bit.

After about 40 minutes we turned into the Fyksesundet and sailed under the bridge there, which according to what I was told was built by the Germans during their occupation of Norway in the war. just under the bridge Haraald pointed out his and Gertruds summer house, a lovely yellow building, with a boat houise down on the shore.

We reached the end of Fyksesundet and arrived at the village of Botnen. Mostly a collection of summer houses now, but still folk living and working here, farming and forestry. It was about a 15 minute walk up to the restaurant, which only opens on booking requests.

Botnen
Had a wander about outside looking at the animals and scenery before going in for meal. Welcomed by the owner, and though it was all in Norwegian she would stop every so often and Turid would translate. All the meat and most of the veg for the dinner were produced here in Botnen. Good buffet selection of beef,lamb,chicken, salmon and home made  steak burgers, so I had some of all of them :D. Desserts followed though I gave them a miss. A few speaches to mark the occasion, and though many of the Norwegians weren't that impressed with the boat, they were well up for this bit as it is a special occasion and it was a return to the family roots.

After the meal wandered about outside and found a hot tub that looked like it was heated by charcoal, great view down the valley if you were sitting in it, but can't imagine it would be used much, not by me at any rate :D

When it was time to head back to the boat we took a short cut my son had found, as most folk went back round the path.

Getting A Heat At The Restaurant
If your idea of shortcut is running down a steep hill through a forest trying to avoid the trees you would have loved this. Caught up with others that had set off earlier, and they took a detour over the river and we followed not knowing what it was about. Turned out they were going up to the family home, that Turids grandfather had built himself, and still used for family get togethers and her brother had added a porch onto the front of it a few years ago.

Back on the boat we were told that as the boat was hired for the day we would be sailing aound the Hardangerfjorden and we sailed out of the Fyksesundet and headed across the fjord to the little picturesque town of Herand and sailed betweena couple of islands here before heading back across to Oystese.

Herand
Nice and calm and still great views, with the different lighting in the evening, and we got back into Oystese about 7pm. we all split up and we headed back to the cabins. Turid brought down a whole lot of the meat that had been left from lunch and we said we would all meet in my cousins cabin at 8-30pm. We were there for then and the kids fired in, a couple of Turids sisters came along and said the rest of the Norwegians would be along a bit later, as there was some TV show on about Norways Eurovision Song Contest entry :O. had to tell them that this competition is treated as a joke in the UK :D.

Again it was a good laugh, with all of the Norwegians having great English, though we did have to do a bit of seat shuffling to split them up as they would revert,unsurprisingly, to speaking Norwegian if they were sat together .

Back In Oystese
My Old Dear and kids disappeared to their beds when they got tired as it turned into a late night, probably later than it should have.

aloneinthecrowd says:
Your pics of the fjord makes me homesick. Maybe I better should go to Norway again instead of Sweden - lol.
Posted on: May 12, 2010