Afternoon In Bergen

Bergen Travel Blog

Nykirken Tower

Flight took just under an hour and a half and we landed in Bergen ar 12-15 local time having gone forward an hour in time zones despite it being such a short flight. With alcohol being so expensive in Norway we had been asked to bring some with us for the social gatherings, and rather than carrying it all in our luggage, decided we would get it in the Duty Free shop in Flesland Airport, that you can though on arrival there.

Once we were all sorted, we headed down to the baggage reclaim, got our bags and headed into the airport. Not a big airport and the exit is there on your right as you come out of International Arrivals. Bus stop is just to the right of the exit and there is a bus every 15 minutes to take you into the city centre.

Beffen
Bus stops off at three locations on the way in and we took it to the second last stop at The Fishmarket. Hotel was on the other side of the Vagen from the Bryggen, and even dragging the cases it tool less than 10 minutes to to the Comfort Hotel Holberg.

Checked in eaily enough and found our rooms on the fifth floor and I gave everyone half an hour to get themselves sorted before we headed out again. There was a big church up to the left, so decided to explore this side of the water before heading into the city centre. the church was The Nykirken and we carried on past that, as on the map there looked like something else out towards the end of the point, but it turned out ot be The Aquarium. Did find the Manchester United Scandanavian Branch Supporters Club shop and some nice and interesting houses.

Fishmarket

Headed back towards town along the road at the side of the harbour. Found a wee ferry that crosses the harbour but decided, and when I say decided that means I did ;), to walk round past the ferries that go out the fjord. Found a small square at C. Sundts Gate  that had a couple of interesting statues and the round to The Fishmarket. Had been billed as one of the main tourist attractictions, and traps, but there wasn't really that much to it apart from a few stalls.

had noticed something when we got off the bus and headed up that way as it wasn't far. was a sort of water feature/fountain at the end of Torgallmenningen, which looked like the main pedestrian shopping area. By now the troops were hungry, again :D, and after looking about we decided to go for pizza.

Building At End Of Bryggen
Quite apparent that nothing was cheap in Norway, but we went to a place called Dolly Dimples and they did an all you can eat pizza buffet for 99NOK (£12), so I made them eat as much as they could ;) . Actually worked as nobody was hungry again that day :O

After that we decided to head for the famous Bryggen, a collection of buildings along the waterfront. It's been there for about 800 years and dates back to when Bergen was the capital of Norway and it's main trading centre. Being built so close together and being made of wood they have burnt down loads of times and been rebuilt, but been around long enough to be declared a World Heritage Site.

Off topic, but talking to the folk over there when we were in Oystese, the people in Bergen,and the other major cities of Norway, speak a different form of Norwegian from the rest of the country .

Building With Clock
They speak Bokmål which is a more formal language, based historically on Danish and used for trade, where as out in the countryside they speak Nynorsk (New Norwegian) a language standardised from many dialects.

We walked back round to the Bryggen, as my boy wanted to get the small ferry back across to the hotel. Even in the rain the buildings were really nice to look  at and we carried on up to where the ferry went, only to find it only runs to 4pm. Still we were that far we were at Hakonshallen, but with it having been a long day already decided to walk back to the hotel.

Despite being Norways second largest city, Bergen city centre is small and compact and it didn't take long to walk to the hotel. I decided to grab a kip before going back out, and when we went my mother decided she was calling it a night and not coming with us.

Squint Buildings
Went to go to a couple of pubs, but they are really strict on age and wouldn't serve my cousins boys as they didn't have their passports with them. thought we would go to the supermarket and grab a few beers for the room, but got to the checkout to be told they stop serving alcohol in them at 8pm, though you can still but light beer.

Went back to the hotel and boys went up to the room to do in some of the stuff we had bought in the Duty Free, but by then I just wanted a proper pint and went to the bar at the hotel, though at 79NOK a pop I didn't stay for that many and soon joined them and had another couple upstair before heading for bed and a good nights sleep.

aloneinthecrowd says:
I love Bergen. I'Ve been there several times already but I guess I had sunshine only once :p
Posted on: May 11, 2010
moshers_moll says:
What a beautiful, picturesque looking little place. Love the architecture. Shame you didn't have nicer, less murky & misty weather. :)
Posted on: May 06, 2010
Landing In Bergen
Landing In Bergen
Nykirken
Nykirken
Nordnaes Batallion Statue
Nordnaes Batallion Statue
Manchester United Supporters Club …
Manchester United Supporters Club…
Tidemans gate
Tidemans gate
Akvariet I Bergen (Aquarium)
Akvariet I Bergen (Aquarium)
Nordnesgaten
Statue Of Holberg
Statue Of Holberg
Louisiana Creole Restaurant
Louisiana Creole Restaurant
Statue On Way Up To Torgallmenning…
Statue On Way Up To Torgallmennin…
Water Feature On Torgallmenningen
From End Of Pier back To Town
From End Of Pier back To Town
Harbour Memorial
Harbour Memorial
Building On Bryggen With Coats Of …
Building On Bryggen With Coats Of…
Bryggen Shops
Our Hotel
Our Hotel
Bergen Hotels & Accommodations review
Good Base
Marked it down on value, but in Norway everything is so much more expensive, you're not going to get the same for your £ or your $. Easy to find, … read entire review
Bergen Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Fill Your Boots
Dolly Dimple's is a pizza restaurant, on the main Torgalmenningen street,that runs along from the Fishmarket, and it is on the opposite corner from Mc… read entire review
Bergen