Running around in the dark

Asendorf Travel Blog

Nice old house

I would never have guessed that I would end up in Asendorf in the middle of nowhere, but still only 60-70 kilometres from Bremen. I had often driven off the motorway in order to find a smal cheap hotel, but this time I ended up being a bit frustrated and almost forced to find a place close to the motorway or in a big city.

I like to drive to the country side and find small unknown hotels where you have a descent stay and a meal for a fair price, but this time all the small hotels were full. I probably went in to 10 different places before I found the Gasthof in Asendorf that could host me for a night.

Normally I have never had any problems getting a room these places but this time all the small hotels were full.

The village church
I could not find any other reason for that; other than I started to look too late.

The last place I had been before I found my room was in a large country hotel, which also was full but the receptionist had immediately picked up the phone and called the Gasthof to hear if they had a room and luckily they did.

I would never have tried the Uhlhorn’s Gasthof otherwise, because all the lights were out when I arrived. I parked outside still not convinced that I was at the right place. I entered the door and followed the weak light; inside there was only one guy sitting in the light of the TV watching billiard on an evening of the semi-finals of champion’s league where Bayern Munich was one of the parties.

He was a friendly man and in my best German I told him that I was happy to find a place where I actually could sleep. He asked me when I wanted breakfast and I said 8am would be great.

Spring colours
 He showed me the room and I asked if I at least could have a beer and that was no problem. I didn't manage to get something to eat but I got a room and a cold beer; and two out of three ain't bad as Meat Loaf once sang. I was quite happy, mostly because I got a descent bed and roof over my head. On top of that the beer was a new one for me; it was just another surplus; the beer was a Herforder Pils, which tasted pretty good but it was not a meal; far from it, but I fell a sleep anyway quite fast.

The room yellow; walls, curtains everything. I felt like it was Easter. The bed was good and the room was large. I watched some TV and called it a night quite early.

Next morning I went down at 8 am, "ordning muss sein" as they say in German and I had told him 8 am the evening before. I was apparently the only guest there and they had made a place for me in the shadow but still in the morning sun. The weather was fantastic; it felt and looked like summer. The price for the night inclusive breakfast was 30 euro which I found cheap.

The fields are getting there
Ready to leave
Ready to leave
Asendorf Hotels & Accommodations review
Like Easter
Especially when I drive on German Autobahn and I need a stay for the night, I like to drive to the country side and find small unknown hotel where I c… read entire review
Asendorf