Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge

New York Travel Blog

This place will always make me a bit sad. I had a plane ticket for 9/12/01 and needless to say I never made it nor did I get on a plane for 1.5 years after that. On 9/11 everything was shut down and the city was a mess. Many people had to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to get home to Queens and Brooklyn. Reports from friends say it was so packed and people were crying, and in shock. It didn't matter if you were a student or a high powered business executive on that day - your ass had to walk the 1.5 miles across the bridge and figure things out from there.

It's a nice walk though, ending in a cute part of Brooklyn from what I hear. We went about 1/3 of the way due to the sweltering heat and unrelenting sun. Watch out for the bike lane, the bikers get really pissed if you get in their way and will yell at you loudly!

Take any train to the Brooklyn Bridge stop. I will figure out if there's a train stop on the other side to get you back into Manhattan.

Another great way to see a very similar view is to take the Q train into queens.
marksreynolds says:
Lena and I walked all the way across, then went to Jacques Toures Chocolate Shop at 66 Water Street in Brooklyn!! :]
Posted on: May 08, 2010