Sample sales

New York Travel Blog

Sample sales happen ALL the time in NY. I'm actually a little surprised that I haven't been to one before. Oh wait, I'm a homebody when I'm not jetting around the world, nevermind!

I couldn't resist though when one of my favorite new designers, Decode 1.8, posted a sample sale on FB. I happened to be running around the city today, and made a pitstop at their 7th Ave location (Fashion Ave) to see if I could snag my favorite dress.

It's easy to feel a little self-conscious while shopping for clothes, which is why I like to do most of it in front of a computer. LA is off the charts snotty. NY proved to be a little nicer.

I couldn't believe it - this building was top to bottom designers I had totally heard of! While walking along this floor, I saw ABS by Allen Schwartz as well. How cool! Everything was so sleek and shiny, and people were actually running around with measuring tapes around their necks, dresses were on racks everywhere! I can see how some people really love being around the colors, creativity and energy of fashion!

Surprisingly I was the 2nd person there, and had my pick of a ton of great stuff. They did have my dream dress, but sadly it was in a size 10. Maybe next time! While I was there I got an ultra special bonus - one of the designers basically went through the racks and helped me choose some dresses that she thought might be good for my body type. She was SO nice I couldn't believe it! You will NEVER get this treatment at sample sales. This place now holds a special place in my heart for sure!

I walked away with 3 new little dresses for a steal - whoo! They asked to put me on the mailing list, which I gladly accepted. I shall be back, and I encourage you all to look for sample sales - they happen all the time!! Some of the larger ones actually charge, which I think is Bonkers. These days, with the power of Facebook, you can track one or two upcoming designers - chances are they'll have a little office in NY and will need to get rid of their sample dresses 4x a year =)

New York