Natural History Museum

New York Travel Blog

Out of all the world-class museums you will find in NY, this older one is still my favorite. I'll always have memories of going here with my Columbia University Summer School class and throwing pistachio shells into the American Indian canoe at one of the entrances when I was 15. What a riot! And then seeing my first hologram exhibit which blew my mind!!

Most people don't know this but most of the museums in NYC are government funded which means the public technically doesn't *have* to pay to get in. I grew up going to these and giving the ticket sellers a quarter and getting my entrance ticket. The Museum of Natural history is one of the museums where there's a "suggested" donation. But they're tricky now, they have "special" exhibits that you can't get into unless you buy a combo ticket which automatically adds on $20 to the suggested donation, which means you're paying full price. But it's often worth it as the special exhibits usually have live animals (butterfly conservatory), or non-permanent exhibits that far outshine the old stuffed caribou or dilapidated dinosaur bones that are such a staple of this place.

Located on the B/C lines at 81st avenue.
New York