Day 38 - Beer Out, Wine In!

Brussels Travel Blog

Dave and I at the Atomium
Having drank our way through 2 and a half bottles of wine each the previous evening, we were surprised to awake this morning virtually hangover free. A quick breakfast later would lift our early morning lethargy, and we soon found ourselves making our plans for the day. Just as we had done in Marrakech, we opted to make use of the sight-seeing hop-on hop-off buses.

We boarded the bus and plonked ourselves on seats on the open top deck and were taken to a nice array of sights, from the European parliament to many cathedrals. This made for a pleasant start to the day and some great photo opportunities of Belgian architecture, both old and new. We finally decided on a stop off from the bus, to visit the Atomium, one off the most futuristic buildings I've ever seen. The day was glorious and made for some great photos.
Brussels

We also visited the Hysel stadium at this stop as it was close by and it had quite a bit of significance to Dave as he was a Liverpool fan. Whilst waiting for the next bus to arrive, we bought ice creams and spent about an hour soaking up the sun. Next up was a stop at Museum of the Far East, which you can probably guess was dedicated to the Orient. It was quite strange to see these buildings in Brussels, particularly the large pagoda!

The afternoon was coming to an end and so we made our way back to the city centre for some dinner at an Italian restaurant, with spaghetti bolognaise being the order of the day. Following our escapades of the previous night, we decided to get a couple of bottles of wine again, sure that we would be hangover free tomorrow.
Brussels
Two bottles of wine later and a card marathon, we headed out to an Irish bar we had passed on the way to the alcohol store.

The bar was jam packed and we got talking with a couple of cool English guys who were driving around Europe, and this had something to do with a dissertation they were writing. I can't quite remember what the topic was, as I was far from sober by this point. We had moved back onto beer by this time, and it took us to a whole new level of drunk! We saw out the night talking with some other travellers and I even managed a dance with some Norwegian girl.

We left the bar well after last orders and when the lights came up. Luckily we only had a short walk to our hotel, which we managed to do in about double the time as most of our walking was side to side, rather than straight ahead!
photo by: Vlindeke