Day 32 - Would You Like Towels?

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Anne Frank House
We learned from our mistakes yesterday and got up early enough to get a great breakfast at the hostel, and more importantly, skip the queues at the Anne Franks House museum. Our breakfast was merely a couple of pieces of toast with a fried egg on each, but the real moment of genius was having a slice of cheese underneath the egg. Ok, so genius is a bit strong but I'd never had cheese with fried egg before and fell in love with it right away. I'd cook the same breakfast for weeks and weeks after returning from this trip. Enough about food though.

Having missed the long queue of the previous day, we got into the Anne Franks House museum right away and luckily the amount of people was quite low, which made it easy to carefully read all the information about the museum.
Dave, Niki and I
And we were glad that we could read at our leisure as the museum was fascinating and frankly, very important. I'd say it's essential for anyone on a trip to Amsterdam, just as Auschwitz is to Krakow. The museum brilliantly depicts the story of the Jewish hideaways chronologically, which climaxes in a dramatic ending. Along with Auschwitz and the Terror House in Budapest, the Anne Franks House gave us a valuable insight into the history of Europe.

After lunch and some more wandering, we had to make some decisions, and quickly. Niki would leave us today and we would also be leaving Amsterdam. Our Interrail passes had expired and we originally planned to head onto Denmark and then conquer Scandinavia.
Dave and I
However, a quick look at the train times rocked this idea. Getting to Denmark would involve a massive 28 hour journey that included no fewer than 5 changes of train or so. So we got out our trusty map of Europe and then we spotted it. Luxembourg. We had never even considered it before in our original planning, but for some reason it just stuck out for us.

We had our last meal with Niki at the bus station before we said our goodbyes. It wouldn't be too long before we would see Niki again, but first up was Luxembourg. Not before one more sleep in Amsterdam though. Luckily for us we were pointed in the direction of a nice little hotel that's in cahoots with Hostel My Home, and we got a bed each for the night. The forgetful owner looked like he had been smoking for 50years as he asked us 5 times if we would like towels in the space of 3 minutes!

And so our time in Amsterdam was nearly over, and truth be told, one more day there would be one day too much. It has its nice points but the seediness around the centre puts it a little bit behind the likes of Krakow, Budapest and Zagreb.
photo by: pearcetoyou