Day 27 - Berlin Wall

Berlin Travel Blog

The Berlin Wall
Having arrived back at the hostel more than the worse for wear the previous night, a long lie in and hangover was the order of the day. The plan for today was simple. Visit the remains of the Berlin Wall, its subsequent museum and then head to the Tiergarten again to watch the England Vs Portugal game. Dave, of course, was rooting for England, whereas I, being a Scotsman, would find nothing sweeter than to see England fall at this hurdle! Enough about that for now, first up was the Berlin Wall.

After a quick lunch, we took the metro across Berlin to the wall and museum. The remains of the wall were nothing more than a short concrete block, scrawled with graffiti. However, the museum was excellent and unravelled the fascinating story of West and East Germany, and the wall that divided a nation.

With our culture fix sorted, we made our way to the Tiergarten once again. The atmosphere wasn't as electric as yesterday, but was still buzzing and we eased ourselves into the proceedings with a beer. There seemed to be a good mix of England and Portugal fans, as well as plenty of locals. The game finished with a nerve racking penalty shoot-out, which England ended up losing. The dreaded curse. Dave was fairly disappointed but new better than to expect England to follow through on their potential, and so soon got over the outcome with a couple of post match beers. The same couldn't be said of one England fan we spotted rolling about the ground in tears!

The exertions of yesterday had caught up with us by now so we grabbed a quick dinner and headed back to the hostel. Once there, we decided to leave Berlin a day early and head to Amsterdam. We weren't best pleased with our hostel and we couldn't contend with the mass groups of tourists at the popular sites.

Our time in Berlin was great, as the night before I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. At times I couldn't breathe. And although the Germans that ran our hostel couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery, the Germans sure can organize a World Cup!
genex13 says:
mh, reading that... I (a eastern german girl) never visited the Wall... that should get me thinkin'
Posted on: May 21, 2009