Koh Chang, Thailand - May 26-29

Koh Chang Travel Blog

The trek to Koh Chang from Bangkok is simple. A 5-hr bus to Trat, a Saengthaw or tuk tuk to the ferry, ferry to the island and finally another taxi to Lonely Beach. We decided to stay at LB because it was touted at a party/fun area with lots of young people. However, it being the low season in Thailand and also its proximity to BKK, I imagine most people chose the more popular southern islands for the epic adventure. Koh Chang is definitely a quieter getaway than I imagine and the beach strips are quite lovely. The only complaint is that we really needed more people to enjoy the nightlife. We actually went to a random Thai birthday party and joined in their fun instead at a local bar.

Koh Chang has a gorgeous waterfall called Klong Plu. The water is crisp and perfect for a dip and you can actually swim right under the falls. A 700m hike and a 200baht fee is all that is between you and peace. A nice change from the hustle and bustle of BKK.

We stayed at Lonely Beach Resort. Nothing to report here. The place is Dutch owned and not outstanding. I would have paid bigger bucks had I realized the difference between hut and resort was not that different. If you are ever planning to splurge on your trip, I suggest Koh Chang as the resorts have sales and are quite reasonable.

Koh Chang