Bangkok With a Curfew (May 19-23, 2010)

Bangkok Travel Blog

After weeks of planning our vacation and knowing full-well that Canadians were advised to avoid non-essential travel to Bangkok, Nova and I arrived into the Kingdom of Thailand on the most violent day for protesting. We arrived on the first day of the government issued protest and the same day the Canadian government upped their warning to avoid ALL travel to Bangkok. On our airport shuttle in, we could definitely see the smoke from firearms and tanks that were being used to remove the protesters. We found our hotel, Roof View Hotel, easily after chatting with some locals (and avoiding the aggressive tuk tuk drivers like the plague). Through our jetlagged haze, we managed to spend about 2 hours out of our hotel room, grabbed a quick bite at the Corner Cafe on Samsen Soi 2/4 and went back to the room to sleep. The first night's curfew was 8pm - 6am. Still we did manage to see a glimpse of Bangkok before we went back to the room.

The next few days in Bangkok, under the new curfew of 9am-5pm, we managed to see the big Buddha (45m tall), Wat Po, home of the reclining Buddha and the Grand Palace, home of some great Thai architecture and the emerald Buddha. We found the Grand Palace to be a tad overpriced for what we were able to see but it did make a nice backdrop for our first Vlog. We spent many nights in the Khao San Road area as we were definitely not going to go the the red district to avoid all the areas with violence. We got our first thai foot massage (AMAZING) and had loads of yummy food. The hotel was perfect, about a 10 minute walk from Khao San, quiet and within a small Thai neighbourhood where we could glimpse local life. Our last day in Bangkok, we went to Tchakchuk market about 30 mins away and it was quite the amazing place. Thousands of stalls selling everything from gucci handbags, vintage t-shirts to household goods and to my horror, trained, leashed and dressed-up squirrels. I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw that. We were in the middle of the pet market where hundreds of puppies and kitties were being sold, and suddenly we saw the squirrels. They were awful and still give me the creeps.

Overall, Bangkok under curfew was alright. It wasn't as crazy fun as it could have been but it was a nice way to start our vacation. We will save the crazy party nights til the end of the trip so we don't burn out along the way!
Bangkok Hotels & Accommodations review
Roof View has a great location near some tasty restaurants and is convenient to get to Khao San Road Area, Tchakchuk Market and anywhere else! The sta… read entire review
Bangkok