At my most beautiful

Sevilla Travel Blog

There is a lot of honking outside the information centre where I am taking advantage of the 1 hour free internet. Its either another protest about unemployment or perhaps in advance of Corpus Christi for which we have the day off tomorrow. You have to love the pious and slightly lazy Spanish. Any excuse for a party; particularly if it is religious. I love the dramatic religious street names and images of the Sacred Heart and the Virgin Mary all around. It reminds me of Ireland but with soaring temperatures; like Kanturk on Mars. Yesterday was awful (heat wise) I think it was around 40 degrees and I spent the afternoon wandering into shops just to take advantage of their air conditioning. I drank more water than what is probably safe for you and changed my top about 4 times. It is lovely, of course, to walk around in shorts and sandals when Mother back home is getting drenched walking from the front door to the car. The problem for me however is that 1) I am not built AT ALL to withstand such weather and 2) It doesn´t actually seem to cool down at any time of the day. I couldnt sleep last night as I kept having to get up to wee from all the water I´d been drinking, splash my face and body with cold water to cool down, get into bed all soggy, then repeat  first two steps. Today is mercifully much cooler but I have another week and a half in the frying pan of Spain.

They are starting with the fireworks outside that are purely for noise and have no actual specatcle. I have heard them before and it is literally like a bomb going off. ¿Why? I don´t understand what this has to do with Corpus Christi; I´d imagine Jesus would want a more quiet celebration. Still, it is fun to be around and nothing is ever dull here.

A couple of nights ago I went for a walk to unknown parts; I.E I turned left out of my house rather than right (I tend not to stray off the known path, it is very easy to get lost around here). It was a beautiful experience and made me realise how lucky I am to be here and to have had this opportunity. It was around half 9, still perfectly light and hot. Tiny tiled bars full of locals fanning themselves, Plazas full of men, women and children talking, eating and drinking. Birds screamed and darted across the sky and the city is really at its most beautiful just before it gets dark. The sky turns sapphire blue and the buildings are lit in deep yellow and orange. It is strange to see small children still up and playing at night. I saw an entrance to an old church with a caved in roof and walked in to have a look. The entrance was open but the inside was locked but I could see that it was full of decorations. "Es una feria" a little voice piped up. A tiny bug eyed girl was talking to me and pointed at her ice cream and said, "¡Mira!" It was wonderful to be able to understand her, the small things have such significance. Of corse I´ve learned today that that was the informal imperative of ´Mirar´ but I suppose I forgive her. Spanish children are probably the cutest on the planet anyway.

I´m sorry for writing so much and if you´ve got this far then well done. I feel a lot more settled these days and its funny how quickly you adapt and how normal things become. I wake up exhausted, I walk with my housemates past the construction site and the kids in their uniforms or painting aprons. I have class, sometimes afterwards I have my espresso for breakfast. I go on the internet after class then have the rest of the day for myself. There is a 2.50 euro mojito bar near us that I´m sure will become my local. There is a place near the school where they serve tiny sandwiches for 1 euro and I have learned today that they are called Montaditos. You fill in a menu with your name and order and hand it in and your meal appears in a small alcove soon afterwards with crisps. I have accepted that my name out here is `hhema´. Yema is the spanish for the yolk of an egg and I sometimes get an odd look when I tell people my name. I´m off to Cordoba on Saturday and looking forward to it. Tonight I should take advantage of the fact we have no school tomorrow by indulging in the ancient Spanish tradition of staying out all night. I´m off to practice my siesta; what a hard life it is.
Gemma_B says:
Thank you very much! Its is a lot of fun, I hope to spend a few days in Madrid soon, will keep you updated :)
Posted on: Jun 03, 2010
LaLuna17 says:
Hard life indeed.:)

This takes me back to the three months I spent in Madrid. I hope you enjoy every minute of it!
Posted on: Jun 02, 2010