EuropeSpainCadiz

Its Good To Get Back to The Sea

Cadiz Travel Blog

Mi Cerdito in my room
I´m sat in my new internet place typing on an ancient keyboard. There is a smell of dog mixed with river and I have a feeling its coming from me. The bottoms of my trousers are pretty wet as I have just been for a wonder along the beach. It is so beautiful, I really missed it. I haven´t been in Cadiz for very long, I only arrived yesterday late afternoon. The train was 2 uneventful hours and as we got closer the view reminded me of Riverside Park (any Medway locals will know it) and the sky was a grumpy grey. I left Sevilla with a heavy heart and felt sad about everything; how I will miss the walk to school, my housemates, the kids across the street, Sandra the lovely maid from Ecuador.
On top of Cadiz Cathedral
.. I was nostaligic about everything and had to remind myself that it took a while to settle and on that first strange Sunday I wanted to bulldoze the whole place to make it easier to walk around and would have killed for a few grey clouds and rain.

Speaking of rain, there was a lot of it on Wednesday. Good old Mother had insisted I bring a rain jacket from home but unfortunately I only have linen trousers and canvas shoes so when I got to the school that day I squelched through the building walking like John Wayne and had to sort myself out in the bathroom. Since then it hasn´t quite recovered and has been quite cloudy and actually chilly at night. It will be getting hotter by Tuesday apparently and its not exactly cold during the day. I walked to the train station in Sevilla and it was 27 degrees (England´s heatwave I think) which was not fun when carrying a rucksack and yanking a bloated suitcase.
Vamos a la playa

Anyway the house mother Maru was not expecting me unitl Sunday and I had to wait outside the residence for a bit in Cadiz. She didn´t take long though and I had to quickly get into Spanish mode and she told me that all the students I´m with are Spanish. Ah. Turns out, as the CLIC school is so new, that they just own a room in on of the local universites residence blocks. My shoulders sank a little when I went into the room. To be honest, it is fine, but I have definietly been taken out of my comfort zone. Its a little shabby with plain walls, no mirrors or noticeboard and a metal bunkbead that squeaks every time you blink. I unpacked my things and propped a few photos against the wall and it started to resemble something more homely. Mum asked if it was a bit like camping and I guess she is right. I originally though that the bathroom was one big communal shower/sink area but have since found out that you can close off parts of it so I don´t have to shower myself in my bikini as I originally thought.
My room
Maru had said there were other ´chicos´around and I had a small panic that I was living with all Spanish men but of course the rule goes that there can be ten thousand women and one man and the group is still referred to as chicos. It turns out that there are 4 girls and 1 guy and I´ve forgotten all their names. They are all nice and friendly and a lot of fun. The Spanish all seem to have the same cheeky humour and zest for life. The chef, Alejandro, is very nice too and they all made an effort to talk to me though I´m aware that I´m the foreign student and it is a little frustrating for both parties. Good practice though. Maru is so very Spanish; big jewellery, heavy make up, naughty laugh and dancing flamenco in the kitchen. We watched England draw against USA (grr) then a friend called and then I crashed out. Today I have just been wondering and eventually found the school for tomorrow. I´m looking forward to settling into a routine and hope that the next 2 weeks will go by ok. I´m sure they will.
mbillini says:
It sounds like the 15th all over again. I think that it will do your Spanish a power of good. Enjoy it.
Suerte por manana