EuropeSpainRonda

Don´t look down

Ronda Travel Blog

Ok so technically I´m back in Sevilla but thought I´d do a quick post on Ronda. We went there with the college on Saturday, its a town about an hour and a half outside of Sevilla in the mountains. Once we got off the bus, stretched our legs and waded through the touristy modern bit of town, we emerged into the real Ronda. Wow! The enormous bridge,´Puente Neuva´is the first thing you see, followed by the spectacularly huge drop to the river below. Those who do enjoy heights should perhaps miss this one out, or at least keep to the middle of the paths.

The path takes you down and around the mountainand you have to stop every 0.3 seconds for photo opportunities. We went to an old Arabic baths and to the museum of Ronda; both are quite pretty but really don´t take that long to explore.

The best experience is to simply walk around, stop to look out and soak up your surroundings. At the end of the day we went to the Bullring, one of Spain´s oldest where there is also a museum. To be honest, as a lapsed vegetarian, I found the whole thing a little creepy and felt like a Catholic about to be fed to lions as I walked into the huge space with the sun streaming down on me. It is worth a visit but I felt a little uneasy walking around and especially the area where they keep and subsequently release the poor buggers into the arena. Really I´m just a total wuss and you just have to accept the cultural differences and traditional ways in Andalusia.

Ronda was also blissfully cool though I managed to get a nice burned shoulder from being in the sun for so long. Sevilla is, mercifully, much cooler this week but I doubt it will last. Its nice not to have sweat in the small crevices of my elbows, however!

More disgusting anecdotes soon.

Ronda