Solvang Daytrip

Solvang Travel Blog

I first heard of Solvang when I was researching on google about casual cycling races I can participate in.  Well that never panned out, but I remember looking at the pictures online about this small city in Santa Barbara county, and thought to myself I really want to check this place out.

Solvang is a city first settled by the Danish community.  Thus the architectures of buildings are similar to what you will see if you visit Europe.  It was about a 1 hour drive south of the 101 freeway from Pismo to Solvang.  The vast majority of sites in Solvang are located in the city center with free public parking lots every block or so.

Me and my 2 friends went on a Saturday, so it was a little hard to find parking, we arrive in Solvang around 2 pm, and it was really packed with people.

We practically walked around the city center visiting various specialty stores, bakeries, and wine tasting shops. I wanted to do wine tasting actually, but my friends who happens to be much more shy and timid than me didn't want to go. I tried to convince them, even told them I'd pay, but they didn't want to take part.  They told me I should just go inside and do wine tasting by myself.  Well what's the point of going if they aren't going.

By 4 pm, the number of tourists visiting the city has died down. We decided to eat this pancake ball concoction dessert after we saw a video it on youtube.  It's called aebleskiver, topped with rasberry syrup and powdered sugar, it was really good.  Left Solvang just before 5 pm on our way back to the central valley of death.

saltycoco says: