AfricaEgyptLuxor

Luxor turns out to be a pleasant experience :)

Luxor Travel Blog

We went to the gallery and my guide introduced me to all her lovely colleagues.. and they decided immediately to make me feel completely at home! I was given a little demo on how papyrus is made.. and how the artists get the painting done on it. And then I was given a little tour of the gallery and asked to pick out the pieces that I liked. Like I said, I was on a budget, and was looking only for some small tokens for a few people. So I picked out three that I liked. My guide had a little talk with her boss and then came up with a fantastic offer for me, IF I were to pick out another piece! I didn’t really want or need to. But you know how it is when an offer is too good to pass up! So I mulled over it for a while.. and we discussed some more.. and she made the offer a little more tempting… and finally, I gave in!

The best little thing they had going was that they had an artist right there in the gallery who could write down the name you desired on the papyrus – in Hieroglyphics! That was so cool :D .. So yes, I now have one of those too!

Oh did I mention, my guides colleagues were all girls – with just one exception! And all girls in the same age group. So you can imagine what a riot it was when we all sat around the table watching the artist and chit chatting! Somehow the topic went to eyebrows.. and I mentioned to them that I was desperately looking for a beauty parlor to get my eyebrows done.. They hadn’t been tended to in a while, and it was becoming increasingly painful to look at myself in the mirror each morning! The moment the words left my mouth, the girls started chattering away in Arabic with one another…and before I knew it, I was being taken downstairs .. made to sit in a chair, while one of the girls pulled out a pair of tweezers and some thread! And right there, in the basement of the gallery, I was made pretty!!! :D

It was just so much fun.. girl fun, you know! All these girls were gathered around a table.. and were yapping away, and there I was, getting my eyebrows done.. And we kept talking on and on.. about things Indian, and things Egyptian.. about boys (of course!) and about work.. And I was just so happy to be there!

And then at lunchtime, we decided to order in a Pizza and continue with our reckless behavior :D .. The girls were having a slow day at work and so I didn’t feel that I was intruding or disturbing them.

So that’s how I spent my day in Luxor! It really was one of the best days I spent in the country :)

In the evening, I got onto the train headed for Cairo. The dinner was amazing, as expected! And I reached Cairo the next morning, happy as can be!

Ok, I wasn’t going to mention this, but it just doesn’t seem right not to. I wasn’t “happy as can be”. In fact, I was quite miserable. You see, I had been a careless girl and I had lost my camera :( .. Yes, it was really stupid of me.. I should have been paying attention.. I should have blah blah blah… But anyways, it happened. I lost my lovely lovely camera. With all the magnificent pictures from Abu Simbel. Thankfully I had uploaded the pictures from the previous day onto my laptop. So not all was lost. But yes, I lost my beautiful camera.
Yes, I tried everything I could to get it back. No, nothing worked. Yes, I have learnt my lesson and will try and be more careful in the future.

Ok. I did it. I said it out loud.

And now I can move on.

So, where were we? Ah, yes..back in Cairo.
anupa_rk says:
There sure are.. but its so agonizing when it happens! More so when it is your own carelessness that causes it! oh well.. :)
Posted on: May 04, 2010
fransglobal says:
I had my camera stolen in Malaysia. Carelessnes on my part. I was cursing and swearing at the time but there are far worse things that can happen...
Posted on: May 04, 2010