AfricaEgyptCairo

You aint seen crazy till you seen me!

Cairo Travel Blog

The Nile at Cairo
What happens when you plan an international trip in 3 days? Chaos!

I was supposed to have a nice relaxed vacation at home and then head towards the peaceful monasteries of Bhutan. My bags were packed, my tickets booked. Everything was in place and I was looking forward to a relaxing time.

And then by a twist of fate, everything went topsy turvy and I was left with 3 weeks of vacation from work and nowhere to go. Calls were made to long lost friends.. connections were re-established.. and at the end of it all I had decided on another destination for my vacation. I was going to Egypt!

Nope, I didn’t have a visa. Nope, I had no idea about the places to see. All I had was a friend who offered me a roof on my head and the benefit of his few months of experience in the country.
Entertainment time!

I jumped into the spirit of things and contacted a tour agency that promised to have my visa stamped in 3 days if I were to take a tour package with them. Negotiations were made.. emails were sent back and forth.. And at the end of it I realized that the only way I could fly to Egypt that very weekend was to allow the blasted tour company to fleece me. And fleece me they did!

Anyways, it was a question of time over money.. and so, I relented. Visa in hand, I set off.. to the land where civilization began.

The first two days were spent in socializing and being nice to my hosts! :D .. and then I began my exploration of the country. I know it is extremely clichéd and totally touristy, but I just had to start off my seeing the Pyramids! And so, off I went to Giza.
Whirling dervishes!!!!
A little town about an hour away from Cairo, it reminded me of home! Crowded and bustling with activity! Just the way I like it :)

I must first admit to my complete ignorance of the land I was visiting. Yes, I did read the page on Wikipedia and Wikitravel.. Yes, I do have some knowledge of the history and the geography of the place. But somehow, I had this image in my mind.. of the pyramids being someplace far away.. in the middle of nowhere… surrounded by miles and miles of desert land. So you can imagine my utter surprise when I first caught a glimpse of the mighty structures… peeking out from between the buildings in downtown Cairo! It was a slight let down actually! I mean, it kinda took the exotic-ness out of it!! Imagine walking on the crowded roads of Cairo.. or munching a burger at McDonalds.. with the pyramids as the backdrop! It doesn’t really gel, if you get what I mean!

Anyways, so on my first day of sightseeing, I set off to see the pyramids.
Jopin says:
Nice blog! I'm waiting and hoping to complete my exploration of Asia before I head out to Egypt... but the temptation to see the pyramids is too great!! By the way, that bubble that had the pyramids surrounded by miles of desert but is actually closer to civilization was burst a while back, when I saw the movie Cairo Time!! LOL!!
Posted on: Oct 20, 2010
anupa_rk says:
Thanks Aurélie :) .. I usually am that ultra well planned traveler, you know.. the kind with a checklist and maps and all :D.. But this was a nice unplanned experience! Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Posted on: May 05, 2010
tirsomaldonado says:
Muchas felicidades! this time is your turn! :)
Posted on: May 04, 2010
Whirling dervishes!!!!
I had only heard about them in the…
I had only heard about them in th…
So you can quite imagine my delight
So you can quite imagine my delight
The Nile from the deck..
The Nile from the deck..
and meeeeeee!
and meeeeeee!
Ooooh thats one helluva dance!
Ooooh thats one helluva dance!
:D