Machu Picchu, a mystical place

Machu Picchu Travel Blog

 › entry 5 of 8 › view all entries
3.30am and I was already taking a shower! They were picking us up from 4am to 4.30 am to leave Cusco around 5am! We are still suffering from jetlag so it was an easy deal! ☺ At that time they picked us up and drove us to Plaza Rogozijo to meet other people. At 5 o´clock sharp we were taking a bus heading to Piscacucho station. It took as around 2 hours and 30 minutes driving through the worst roads ☺ In many occasions the roads were so narrow that we had to drive backwards to let the cars coming the opposite direction pass. Some times I thought we were not going to get on time, as the bad weather during the last months left all roads in really bad conditions.

At 7.30 am we got to Piscacucho station and we still had some time to have something for breakfast.
Right next to the station you find several tends selling food, souvenirs and some other stuff. The views getting to the station were quite nice, but they were even better once you waited to take the train. We still had a way to go and I was freaking out! ☺

Perurail has different trains to take you to Machu Picchu. There is a regular line and there is a special line where all wagons have windows on the sides and ceiling. The train was brand new and you had the best views over the trail we were following to get to our final destination. The landscapes were breathtaking, I felt like in the movie Jurasic Park when the main characters were driving trough the park! You could see how the weather had damaged most of the trajectory.
We were all the time going along the river Urubamba and we even saw rails on the water! Matchu Picchu had been closed for 2 months due to weather conditions and all the damage caused by the river overflow. 2 hours and 20 minutes later we arrived to Matchu Picchu station!

Right at the exit we met our guide, we had a personal guide for our own!!!!. First thing we asked him was the possibility to go up Waynapicchu. It seems to be that there are only 400 tickets a day to do that as the trails to go there are very narrow and they want to preserve it from use damage.

From Machu Picchu station you have to go across the market and go to the bus station. The bus takes around 30 minutes to go all the way to Machu Picchu.
At that time you are so full of adrenaline that you lose track of time!

Right at the ticket entrance our guide asked the organization if they still had tickets go up to Waynapicchu and …. Yess!!!! We were able to go all the way up to get the best views from Machu Picchu!! They make you sign a ticket and then you have to head towards the Waynapicchu ticket control right at the beginning of the trail. Be careful with professional cameras, they almost stopped me and forced me to leave all my equipment in a locker. I passed the first control, but the second control was even more risky. The guide was very bright and we switched bags so they did not notice I was taking all my equipment with me. If you want to take professional photos you need to ask for a permit, which takes a loooong time.

We started the way up quite fast as we were eager to arrive to the top but when we reached 35% of the trail we started to feel the fatigue. It was extremely hard and we were sweating like pigs. Besides, I was taking all my equipment in a bag and my shoes were not the right ones for that trail! It was hard, really hard. Actually we had to rest several occasions although it took us around 35 minutes to get there and the same time to go down. I don’t even know which is harder, the way up or down. It is exhausting to go up but there is a great level of difficulty going down. When we reached the top, we couldn’t believe it! We were totally wet and exhausted, but the views cured all our symptoms! Damn! That was just amazing, breathtaking, something you only see once in a lifetime! You could see the trail we followed with the bus, Matchu Picchu, the mountains surrounding it and the river Urubamba! I guess that I will never be able to express what how we felt when we saw this incredible scenario.
You can see the photos, but the truth of the matter is that the whole experience is what really matters and makes Machu Picchu so special. We left at 5 am in the morning from Cusco and we go to Machu Picchu at 10.30 am! During 5 hours and 30 minutes you get charged with adrenaline, so when you get to the top you just blow up!

By the way, we met a guy from Spain on the way up to Machu Picchu and he contacted me through Facebook! His name is Carlos Garcia Miquelez, and he was a real traveller! he was visiting Perú all by himself!!!

We spent so time enjoying the views and taking some photos although I know it will be impossible to express everything you feel when you see it. The way down was terribly difficult! My legs were shaking and my shoes where all wet and slippery, so I had to be very cautious.
We reached the base around 12.10pm and we only had 50 minutes to visit Machu Picchu. Our guide was great and really got us in to the story around this 7th World Wander. You need to stop, sit on the grass and try to get into the scenario. It might help if you are chewing a coca leaf! ☺

Tip: If you have time I would recommend you to go the day before, sleep in Aguascalientes and visit Machu Picchu next day. The organization closes at 5.30 pm, and after that it is quite difficult to find train tickets, so I also recommend you to stay the day after so you have more time to enjoy Machu Picchu. We arrived at 10.30am and we had to leave at 1pm to get our bus. We had to rush all over the place, so take it easy, go with some more time and enjoy one of the 7th World Wanders!

At 1pm we got the bus to go down to Machu Picchu rail station.
It takes you around 30 minutes to go down, and next to the station you will find restaurants and a very interesting market. Actually, they prices there were quite low, so I recommend you to do most of your souvenir shopping there. You have to be 30 minutes before the time ready to get in the train, but we still had some time to grab something to eat in a restaurant we found next to the river.

At 15:20 we were going back to Piscacucho station. Around 5pm a driver from the travel agency was waiting for us and took us 2 hours to get back to Cusco. We were exhausted so we lied down for a while before going for dinner! Great food again! I am attaching a review from the restaurant we ended up going to.
ratu says:
Vaya fotos Tirso, felicidades!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2010
taicheng says:
this is one of my dream place to visit and hope i can stay at least 1 day there......
Posted on: May 03, 2010
jimmypons says:
That was a great day, still in my memories and we maded in a record time. Waynapichu what a name still my muscles remember it!
Posted on: May 01, 2010
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Machu Picchu
photo by: NazfromOz