Cusco, magical city

Cusco Travel Blog

Today we woke up at 6 am to get our flight to Cusco on time. From the hotel in Miraflores to the airport cost us 35 soles (9,21€), that is quite inexpensive if you consider you have a 30 minutes drive with no traffic jam. Be careful with rush hour, as traffic jam can get really bad! Did you know that all police controlling traffic are women???? It seems to be that police was suffering from corruption so government decided to hire only women as they are considered to be less corrupted.

The airport is just fantastic, very similar to any European airports. Actually they even have free Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet, something most of airports in Europe lack.
The flight from Lima to Cusco takes 55 minutes with LAN airlines. Service was perfect and you have much more space than any low-cost airlines in Spain, such as vueling or spanair.

Once you get to Cusco you can feel the altitude right away. Actually Jimmy had a problem last time he visited the city and fainted big time! ☺ It is funny how the plane lands as the airport is situated in a valley. It is quite impressive the maneuvers the plane has to do! Once you get your luggage, you will find tons of taxi drivers at the exit, but instead of getting it there, leave the airport area and get it in the street! A taxi from the airport to the center (15 minutes) cost us 5 soles (1,32€)! By the way, people from the information center at the airport explained everything we had to do and gave us a very warm welcome!

Right now we are already in the hotel.
I can believe we are right next a beautiful church right in the middle of the market. Right now we are resting a little bit and having a “mate de coca” before start visiting Cusco. It seems to be that you need some time to get used to the altitude.

We were supposed to wait for a couple of hours but we were eager to discover and visit the place! Our first stop was the market, although we did not spend much time as it was quite sunny and we could not loose a minute of light. Then we walked along the “Avenida del Sol” towards “Plaza de Armas”… Damn! That was fantastic; I still don’t know what it was, the smell, and the air, something different in the sky….

Right on Avenida del Sol you find the market, Museo de Sitio de Qoricancha, la Iglesia y Convento de Santo Domingo, all sorts of museums, until you get to the “Plaza de Armas”.
Right in the middle of the way heading “Plaza de Armas” we found a market with tons of different souvenirs, jewels and clothes. In one of the stores Jimmy started interviewing the owner and his son asking questions about the type of minerals and rocks you find in the area and the way the treated them to make all sorts of stuff (necklaces, rings, earrings, etc). I found the most beautiful bracelet I have ever seen but when they first told me the price they said 215 soles (56,59€) and then the owner arrived and told us it was a mistake and that it was worth 300 soles (78,97€). It was made of silver and some rocks embedded…. Shit! I liked it but we told the guy we were first going to check prices around… it is not a good habit to buy in the first place you find something you like ☺

Avenida del Sol is full of stores, restaurants, coffee places; it is a very lively street.
Right when we were walking around all young kids were getting off school. For lunch we went to a restaurant a tour guide recommended us. Its name was Chicha with his well-known chef Gaston Acurio. It was just superb! I would have never thought we could eat so well in Peru! So far we have tried food in three restaurants and in all of them we have eaten very well. I would say it is one of the biggest strengths in the country. In many places you find Peruvian nouvelle cuisine…

After lunch we visited many stores at Plaza de Armas looking for a bracelet similar to the one we saw before, but none of them were as nice! I found some cheaper, but I liked the first one I saw! Jimmy got a little bit dizzy, so we went back to the hotel. On the way we stopped at the first store and I talked to the owner again! “Listen, you were right! I looked around and I didn’t see anything better than the piece you showed me, but, being honest with you, I found it cheaper… “
Ok, how much would you pay me - he replied
We closed the deal at 250 soles (65,81€)! Which is awesome considering it is beautiful! Check out the photos in the review!

Around 7pm the travel agency left our tickets to Machu Picchu at our reception.
And guess what? We have to wake up at 4am, as they are picking us up at 4.30am! What a day!

For dinner we went to Plaza de Armas and we had dinner at a typical restaurant named Tunupa. I am attaching a review.
alyssa_ob says:
Cusco is such a beautiful city (with good food!). You have some beautiful photographs.
Posted on: May 03, 2010
Cusco Sights & Attractions review
Travel agency to visit Machu Picchu
In order to get tickets to get to Machu Picchu you need to book them some time in advance. They used to sell 2500 tickets a day, but due to some natur… read entire review
Cusco Hotels & Accommodations review
Best location, good money
This hotel is very well located. It is right next to the biggest market in the city at the end of Avenida del Sol. It is next to a beautiful church an… read entire review
Cusco Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Awesome food, incredible presentation
The day we had lunch in Chicha there was a guy right on the street with a menu on his hands. I believe they do it because in the basement there is ano… read entire review
Cusco Sights & Attractions review
Best silver jewels in Cusco
We met the owner, his wife and his son, and I must say they were very nice with us. They let us interview them with our camera and they explained to u… read entire review
Cusco Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Restaurant in the middle of town
It might be one of the nicest restaurants at Plaza de Armas. You will find some stairs to go to the second floor. The floor is all made of wood and th… read entire review
photo by: Vlindeke