what we did in NOLA other than eat...

New Orleans Travel Blog

at Pat O'Brien's

It probably says a lot about a) me, and b) New Orleans, that I dedicated a whole blog entry to eating and drinking.  But we did actually do some other stuff!

• I introduced Melissa to hostelling.  Unfortunately this hostel easily makes it into my top-5-worst-hostels list (and I've stayed in 50+ hostels…), but as we kept saying, everything is an adventure.
  • We wandered around the French Quarter quite a bit, seeing lots of old / diverse / interesting architecture.
  • We took streetcars all over the place, including through the Garden District (where we were staying), which was very pretty.
  • Melissa did a phone-interview for a job in the middle of Audubon Park, because we forgot we had shifted timezones and therefore her 12:30 interview was at 11:30.
  • We listened to some live jazz.
  • We didn't notice any obvious signs of a major oil spill nearby - except for the occasional scent of oil in the breeze...
  • We got horribly hot / sticky / sweaty most days.  I got a little tanned.  We agreed that this is not the sort of climate we could live in.
  • We went on a Swamp Tour, where we boated through the canals and bayous of a swamp area.  We saw lots of medium-sized alligators, and various birds and turtles.  And we even got to hold a one-year-old alligator!!

And, with that, Melissa & Erin's Excellent Adventure was over.

at Pat OBriens