what we did in NOLA other than eat...
New Orleans Travel Blog› entry 17 of 39 › view all entries
May 21st, 2010 – by: erinontour
It probably says a lot about a) me, and b) New Orleans, that I dedicated a whole blog entry to eating and drinking. But we did actually do some other stuff!
- I introduced Melissa to hostelling. Unfortunately this hostel easily makes it into my top-5-worst-hostels list (and I've stayed in 50+ hostels…), but as we kept saying, everything is an adventure.
- We wandered around the French Quarter quite a bit, seeing lots of old / diverse / interesting architecture.
- We took streetcars all over the place, including through the Garden District (where we were staying), which was very pretty.
- Melissa did a phone-interview for a job in the middle of Audubon
Park, because we forgot we had shifted timezones and therefore her 12:30
interview was at 11:30.
- We listened to some live jazz.
- We didn't notice any obvious signs of a major oil spill nearby - except for the occasional scent of oil in the breeze...
- We got horribly hot / sticky / sweaty most days. I got a little tanned. We agreed that this is not the sort of climate we could live in.
- We went on a Swamp Tour, where we boated through the canals and bayous of a swamp area. We saw lots of medium-sized alligators, and various birds and turtles. And we even got to hold a one-year-old alligator!!
And, with that, Melissa & Erin's Excellent Adventure was over.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!