welcome to America...

Laurel Travel Blog

I hired a car in Philly and drove to Maryland.  And by hired, of course, I mean rented.  Because although in Australia we use 'hire' and 'rent' interchangeably, in turns out that in the USA whenever I've said I'm going to hire a car, people think I'm going to sit back and have a driver chauffeur me around.

A very good friend is getting married this week, so my mum and two friends have also arrived from Australia.  We are staying in a hotel and spending our days in the midst of wedding mania.

HIGHLIGHTS:

• introducing my friends to American shops & prices: everything is cheaper here, and they love Macy's - possibly because it was the first store we went to.
  • playing tour guide around DC: I've visited a few times before, so I'm knowledgeable enough on basic facts and quirky stories of the monuments, but then my mum would ask me things like "when was the White House built?" as though I'm suddenly an American history expert (does she know me at all?)
  • Crab feast: man those things are hard work.
  • becoming a florist: we helped make wedding bouquets & corsages
  • feeling famous: we were told over and over again by everyone we met how impressive it was that we had flown from Australia for a wedding (and then mum would tell them that I was less impressive because I've been here for the last five months…)

Laurel