take me out to the ballgame

Washington Travel Blog

Today I went to my very first baseball game.  In fact, my very first American sports game.  In fact, my very first professional sports game ever (unless you count that time I worked at a one-day international cricket match…).

We went to watch the Boston Red Sox play the Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards, Baltimore.

It was a rather warm day - in the 90s (ie: in the 30s).  And we were sitting in full blazing sun, sweating ridiculously - but of course everyone was, so it kind of ceases to matter.  I was, however, extremely proud of myself for being the one person in our group to not get burnt - usually it's the other way around and I'm always the only person in the group who gets sunburnt.

I learnt a lot about baseball - ie: how to play - and really quite enjoyed it.  It's not a particularly fast-moving game, so it's quite a sociable experience as you can chat, or wander off for snacks, and you really only need to pay attention half the time.

I also had my first-ever soft pretzel.  And of course an all-American hotdog (not my first), coz you can't go to the game without having a hot dog.

Unfortunately the Sox lost in the 10th inning (obviously I'm a Sox fan), which was a bit of a bummer, but all in all it was a fun day!

photo by: b93sp