I still call a flat-white home

New York Travel Blog

You may know that I come from a family of coffee drinkers / coffee snobs.  And so I always have to change my picture of coffee drinking when in the USA.

• Everyone here has a filter coffee machine.  It's just how they roll.  That's the coffee you'll get in basically every restaurant, gas station, summer camp or café (of course there's Starbucks, but then you get into the whole venti-non-fat-caramel-macchiato-with-extra-whip thing).
  • The "french press" is the latest thing over here.  Which I find funny coz we've had a "coffee plunger" in my house my entire life (my mum still has it - it's a sweet 70's-brown-plastic affair).
  • I was cold on my bus trip the other day, so I thought I'd get a cup of coffee at the rest stop to warm up a little.  Let me tell you, Arby's sells truly awful coffee.  I only drank half of it.  But at 84 cents a cup, should I have been surprised?
  • After my experience with the 'orange juice' at my hostel in NYC (it turned out to be Tang), I didn't even bother trying the coffee.
  • When I have had espresso-based drinks, I've generally been disappointed - particularly by the milk texture - and so most of the time I don't even bother trying.  I'm not saying that good coffee doesn't exist, it's just you need to know where to find it.
  • After reading an article about some Australian restaurants & cafes in NYC, I checked out two: firstly, a pie place called Tuck Shop.  The lamb & veg pie I had was good, but not amazing - it was a little lacking in lamb flavour.
  • The second was a coffee place called Culture Espresso.  It's run by some Aussies, and the coffee was very good.  It was pretty exciting to have a good flat white after months of nothing!  Plus the place had something of an Aussie-cafe feel.  I may have gotten a little homesick.
New York